Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't feed the River Police!

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    I am fine with this. Technically, I would probably not call most of these rivers and just make them narrow bays. I really see only 3-4 that I would properly label as a river. The rest are just fjords...
    I see a geography lesson in the making. I'll have to do some research, because I really don't know the difference between one or the other. At least not the technical differences...

If we are involving river police they are much more likely to be Rias than Fjords

Korba

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    I see a geography lesson in the making. I'll have to do some research, because I really don't know the difference between one or the other. At least not the technical differences...

Just go look at Norway... the entire country is pretty much fjords: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=6...887695&t=h&z=7
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Fyords are really more bays rather than rivers

Since a Fyord is cut from the land by glacial action, after the glacier melts away the scars remaining form the valleys of the fyord. Since the glaciers go all the way to the sea, what's left behind is below sea level. Thus a fyord is really a long narrow channel bay, following the path of the glacier's movement until it rises above sea level again towards the mountain source.

Rivers do flow into fyords, but occurs later.

Except for those fyords that have rivers flowing into them, there is generally no current, nor erosion caused by a river current in its making.

I'm sure someone could give a clearer definition. Wikipedia probably.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Yes, I've been bouncing all over Wikipedia all morning.

I think I've pretty much come to the conclusions that, with a little modification, I can make this area either full of fjords (in all of their various spellings), or, if I want a smaller scale, a ria.

I'm probably leaning more towards the fjords because it's a larger area, and a more diverse terrain (thus, more tinkering, and more learning). It also affords me the opportunity to put in some cold mountainous regions, which I've always been a fan of; it's a great place for zombies!

Any other ideas? I'm all ears!

-IG

Scale isn't so important. Rias can be as large as the river that feeds them.

However as you say Fjords only appear in areas of glaciation. An extra point is that Fjords taper much less than rivers because unlike rivers the glaciers size is (generally) defined by its starting point and doesn't grow towards its end.

As jfrazierjr recommends take a look at Norway

I look forward to seeing how the map goes

Korba

When I first looked at this, I saw some sort of lowland river delta, probably because of the richly colored green land; however, with the rivers being rather short for their width, I think it would be better suited towards a rugged fjord-like setting.

Good luck with it.

I played with the shape of the landmass a bit here, and tried to get it to make a little better sense. There's also a bit of a shallows, though I'm still not sure how that works.

I used a softer brush this go around, so some of the coastlines may be sharper than others. That's first on the list of things to fix next.

-IG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rivers.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	612.8 KB 
ID:	10918  

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    I played with the shape of the landmass a bit here, and tried to get it to make a little better sense. There's also a bit of a shallows, though I'm still not sure how that works.

I used a softer brush this go around, so some of the coastlines may be sharper than others. That's first on the list of things to fix next.

-IG

Looks good, though I would suggest taking off the bevel of the land mass until you get your highlands into place. It looks odd right now because everything's so flat... besides, you might end up putting some cliffs somewhere in their for the fjords....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12