Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starship Sections Maps (Part 2) - Modular Base

Map Starship Sections Maps (Part 2) - Modular Base

I've already posted some of this material in the other Starship Sections thread, but since this material is different from what I originally envisioned for the Starship Sections I think it warrants a separate thread.

Our Star Wars RPG gaming group has acquired a modular base (Hideouts and Strongholds sourcebook by West End Games, page 77) and I was tasked with generating a map for it. The sourcebook doesn't give much in the way of dimensions, so I made some assumptions. The base is not very large and consists of a octagonal frame which five modules can fit into. Since I was already making 12x12 overlays for the Starship Sections, I went with half that size for each module - 6x6. [Yes, I know it is actually a quarter of the size based on area but I went with half-size based on length.] I then put a 1-square "spacer" between modules to make the octagon 20-squares across. Here is the result:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Modular Base Layout.png 
Views:	714 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	10906
    The "corners" are sloped on the outside, they do not have a full level of clearance for people to walk through. They function more like a crawlspace, so I made them storage and maintenance areas - separate from the modules. I added some grass to show what was not part of the base - feel free to put whatever "outside" terrain is applicable. Also, these are designed to link together (one modular base to the next) - so they can form a little compound with any composition of modules.

The modules are all 6x6 and fit in the blank spaces. The Modular Base is designed to put any modules in any order (although some logically can't be in the middle - like a vehicle bay or airlock module). I'll post more as I get them, but for now I have:
    Command module (I usually put this one in the middle):

Name:	Command Module.jpg 
Views:	899 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	10907

Crew's barracks:

Name:	Crew Barracks.jpg 
Views:	774 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	10908

Crew's Mess:

Name:	Crew's Mess.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	10909

Here's an "empty" module in case I don't post what you need:

Name:	Empty Module.jpg 
Views:	817 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	10910

I'm currently working on a medical bay, a couple of cargo/storage modules, an airlock, and a vehicle garage. I'll post them when finished. As always, comments and criticisms are welcome.

I had some time today to make more modules. Here are an Armory, Cargo Hold, and Medical module:

Name:	Armory Module.jpg 
Views:	985 
Size:	216.3 KB 
ID:	10924 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cargo Hold 1 Module.jpg 
Views:	531 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	10925 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Medical Lab Module.jpg 
Views:	641 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	10926

And here is an example of how the modules fit into the base:

Name:	Albatross Modular Base - Sluis Van.jpg 
Views:	828 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	10927
    This configuration is the one I made for my gaming group.

Cool stuff. Looks nice!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat stuff Kihmbar!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Just as great as the ship tiles!
    I have some suggestions. If you line up the exits you could put two of them next to eachother to make a bigger base. You could also make 'frames' for some different shapes (L shaped, straight corridor...)
    It would be cool with a big gun, like super arty or an orbital defense or AA gun or something...
    I need to save these for my upcoming stormtrooper campagn!

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoel View Post
    I have some suggestions. If you line up the exits you could put two of them next to eachother to make a bigger base.
    I intended to use a 2x1 corridor (shown below) to connect the sections. It would make more sense though if the connection piece had walls as well. That would make the adjacent bases enclosed (instead of crew being open to the elements when going from one to the other). I'll work on a few "walled connector" pieces for this purpose.
    Name:  Corridor (2x1).jpg
Views: 3653
Size:  13.1 KB

You could also make 'frames' for some different shapes (L shaped, straight corridor...)
    Great suggestion, I'll work on some alternative shapes for the base frame. It isn't a priority for me right now, but I'll try to get something up in the next month.

It would be cool with a big gun, like super arty or an orbital defense or AA gun or something...
    I'll put some modules together for the super artillery or orbital defense. What I'll probably have to do is make the weapon as one module and the fire control as a separate module. The AA gun will be easier. Any ideas where I could get an image of a turbolaser from the top-down? I would love to put some bigger guns on my maps, but I don't have good images to make them out of.

The easiest way I can come up with off the top of my head is rendering a 3d model for it. I'm sure there's a free model of a turbo laser out there somewhere...
    I got some more ideas if you like
    A landing pad (to be put on top of one base module)
    A room with a stair or lift so you can put in a second level (or landing pad)
    A cool super room that covers the whole module area, could be a breifing room, mess hall, training room or hangar.

If you'll keep pumping them out, I'll keep giving you my ideas!

I'll try to crank them out your ideas as I have time. Stuff for my gaming group has priority, but the GM isn't too demanding right now.

I just finished up the airlock module which was more of a hassle than I thought. I wanted to make it where you could see the "outside" of the airlock as well so I extended the module outside. I also wanted the "outside" to be seen through the viewport. Since .jpgs don't support transparency, the airlock module is a .png file. It comes complete with changing rooms and two environmental/vacuum suits.

Name:	Airlock Module.png 
Views:	524 
Size:	321.1 KB 
ID:	10980

For access to the outside, here is a ramp [the base sits about a half-level off the ground].
    Name:  Ramp.jpg
Views: 2945
Size:  9.3 KB

And for those of you who like mega-bases, here are the connector pieces:
    Name:  Connector (2x1).jpg
Views: 2883
Size:  12.0 KBName:  Connector (2x2).jpg
Views: 2835
Size:  23.2 KB
    And an example of how they would work:

Name:	Connector Example.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	10986

As always, comments and criticisms are welcome. Feel free to be nitpicky, I can't see everything.

Blog Entries

Just a note of awesome here... repped

Hi Khimbar, nice stuff there. I'm planning to do something like this myself later. Where did you get your sci-fi top-down elements, or did you draw them yourself?
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast