Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi

Guild Novice

Post Hi

Hi All,

Recently discovered this site and I think this is a great forum for this type of work. I look forward to not only checking out all the great maps but also contributing as time allows.

Personally I've worked in the field of GIS and Cartography professionally for the last ten years and combine that with me being a gamer and you get your standard recipe for someone who thinks made up maps are cool
    Here is an example of my job work (res is kinda low):
    http://clss.nrcan.gc.ca/images/dawsonls_full.jpg

I have always made maps for my games but its always been challeniging since I'm used to working with real world data.
    My last major game map was for a long campaign of D&D:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brgis_jan31.pdf 
Views:	48 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	10960

My first city map for Earthdawn (city built into the side of a volcano)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City of Domek.pdf 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	10961

In related fictional mapping I created a website making 2D interepretations of Counter-Strike maps, site was pretty big in its time:
    http://csnation.totalgamingnetwork.com/cs2d/

Well thats all for now,

Half-Pint
    Last edited by Halfpint; 03-06-2009 at 10:19 AM.

Post Welcome

Hey, what I could see was some impressive work. (Couldn't see the attatchments, for some reason, but I'll come back to check them out later.) Welcome!
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome to The Guild. We love having pros here so that you can chime in and point out where our theories are flawed...always welcome for those of us who try to do more "real" looking terrains.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Cool maps you are made Halfpint!
    welcome!
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Have some additional 'rep' for showing us some maps in your intro post *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

These are no glass half empty maps here. You should have called yourself... MEGASTEIN

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Novice

** Well since I actually made these maps using a GIS (vector files) I exported them originally as PDF to keep them crisp, while I lose the thumbnails the quality of the final is super clear now. My local Adobe license is currently snafu'd so I think the export from PDF to JPEG was causing issues. Anyways you should be able to actually see them now.

Actually I work at Environment Canada right now but I did about 5 years at NRCan. For you Yanks NRCan is like your US Geological Survey. In Canada we split up our environmental sciences as a seperate department from natural resource management.

I work with Protected Areas and split my mapping time between various policy support and endangered species work.

I'm not sure why my links thumbnailed but didn't load properly I'll try uploading the files again.

Half-Pint
    Last edited by Halfpint; 03-06-2009 at 10:22 AM.

Post Thanks!

Hey, right on! Thanks for better view. I love your scale on the campiagn map. I've considered similar, but time of travel naturally varries by mode of transport. Still, I'm entertained to see it. I tried to rep ya' again just cause I got a kick out of seeing it, but I need to spread the love around. Great stuff, hope to see more soon. Cheers!
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast