Thread: River and Mountain Police...?

Post River and Mountain Police...?

I've been trying to get a pseudo-possible layout with respect to mountains and rivers.

Can the River and Mountain Police/RCMP/etc let me know how I'm doing?

I'm feeling like I'm close...

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test1.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	12063  

The only ones I'm seeing right now to "fix" are in the South East corner of the left-most continent.

p.s., my real rivers won't be in red

I'm assuming you let FTPro plot out your rivers, in which case, they should be generally in the right places and be flowing in the right direction. The only thing you have to watch out for is "artificial" sea-level areas that stop the river flow prematurely. There are a couple of tutorials about this located in the tutorials section of the boards and Waldonrate has a couple good tutorials about them on his site as well.

As for the mountains, I've never quite liked the way FTPro places mountains during the generation stages and often find myself editing them down to near sea-level before building them back up again to better simulate their development due to plate tectonics, but that is a personal issue.

All in all, I don't see anything grossly wrong with what you've got so far, but then again, I didn't try to trace out every river on the map, and will have to wait and see what things look like when you start adding in some terrain coloring.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Thanks for having a look!

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

You've got a few rivers in the middle of landmasses that don't go to the sea. Yu also have quite a few rivers that get to a small body of water close to a really large one - there's no exit from the smaller body of water to the larger one. Finally a few of your mountain ranges seem to get very high and then just stop in a great plateau which seems a little odd. A few small plareaus in the middle of a large range I can understand, but most of your mountain ranges seem to be a large bulk area of white, with proper ranges around the sides.

Along the coastlines it seems to work fine and the mountain ranges look great.

hahah! didn't think of that one.

Post Test1 Results

Yeah, I found a few systems you might want to look at a little closer. There are also a few systems that fall just shy of the body they're aiming for (I didn't mark those, they're either a resolution error, or an easy fix as you find them).

My thoughts; lots of small salty bodies. I may be wrong, but don't salty bodies occur most frequently in hot, arid climes (my logic being that there must be some factor to keep the water level in check). All of those places where water is collecting, but not going anywhere except by evaporation collect minerals (and water, if nothing is keeping water level checked, your inland seas my well have water levels quite a bit higher than sea level).

IMO there are way too many factors involved in geology to make critical statements about your topography (or anyone's). Your map does seem very mountainous, but there are many reasons why that might be the case. Unless you are plotting things like plate movements, other volcanic activty, and age of your mountains (in 10's or 100's of thousands of years), I think you should shoot for mountains that you feel good about.

So below are you results (according to me), follow the yellow brick arrows.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test1results.PNG 
Views:	82 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	12083
    Last edited by Feralspirit; 04-06-2009 at 03:29 AM.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Again, a big thanks to all....I'll post my "adjustments" with some tentative climate in a few days when I work through it...