Thread: Artium Province: My First Digital Map

Guild Apprentice

Wip Artium Province: My First Digital Map

So I looked at a couple of the tutorials and have started work on the provincial map for the area my PCs are in right now (actually they're leaving next session, but don't tell them that )

I have the coastline and the highlands set up, next I plan to do rivers and actually add in the mountains. Most of the area is forested as well.

Anyone with suggestions please let me know.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Artium Province.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	12141

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Put the mountains in next unless the rivers are more important...then do the mountains second. Do the plains third and any swamps or other stuff then go back and fill in the forests. Once the terrain is done then put in the cities, towns, villages, dungeons, forts, etc. Then the roads and lastly give everything names. Finally, put in a scale so that people can judge the distances and a compass so that we know which way north is. This looks like a Campaign Cartographer map so as for tips on style issues, well then I'd take a look through the Finished Maps subforum to see what grabs your eye and then ask for help on things like sheet effects.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

Is there a way to add in the compass and scale and things after you've already created the map?