Thread: Living Greyhawk Germany Map

Post Living Greyhawk Germany Map

Hey,
    now it is time to present my last work (I finally got the permission to do so).

Most of you probably have heard about the "Living Greyhawk" Campaign from WotC. A friend of mine who is also a user on the www.dnd-gate.de (you know that german languaged D6D website I am running) ask me to do him a favor a while ago - he wanted a map for the german LG triad, sth which would be official then.
    After many month I finally done the map - which is a region of the land of greyhawk and the region in which the german LG is being played.

As I honor this "guild" here, I wanted to present the map to you too.
    Though it is the final version, I post it here in the WIP/Critiques Forum, perhaps to get some comments on it.

You can download it from the DnD-Gate.de website. Here is the link:
    http://www.dnd-gate.de/gate3/page/fi...al_SC_1200.jpg
    Come to where the kobolds are...
    www.dnd-gate.de - The German D&D Community

The one thing that really jumped out at me was the river that "starts" at East Market and goes downhill and then back up. Can you explain what is happening there?

hmmm, I can't say a thing about it. I had to orient myself on old original maps the german LG's used. I just did a newer and better looking version for them. The map layout didn't come from my own fantasy.

I also think that the image you have in mind is not quite right in this case. The darker and lighter green areas, did not show different heights on this map. Afaik the plains around the forest are almost even - more or less that is.

But I will ask my friend about this.
    Thanks for the hint.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller
    The one thing that really jumped out at me was the river that "starts" at East Market and goes downhill and then back up. Can you explain what is happening there?
    Hi.
    If you look at a complete map of the Flanaess, you will see the true path of the entire river (it's the forest region between Nyrond and the North Kingdom). And it looks like that bit you mention is going into a marsh (the darker region) rather than uphill, but maybe I'm misunderstanding you.
    btw: great map with effective use of cc3's new features. i'm awed by how your forest looks natural rather than repetitious.
    Eric

I see. I guess I'm seeing the darker 'green' areas and contour changes. I'm referring to the top right corner of the map just to make sure we are on the same page.

If it isn't a contour change then you definitely need something to explain what it is I think. Maybe on the bigger map it makes sense, but on this one, especially without a legend, it is difficult to tell what the different features are.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller

If it isn't a contour change then you definitely need something to explain what it is I think. Maybe on the bigger map it makes sense, but on this one, especially without a legend, it is difficult to tell what the different features are.
    I think I see what you mean. On the left side, he used darker brown for the hills, indicating elevation I guess, but on the right side that would mean that darker green was also elevated and so the river would be jagging up into the hills (I was seeing darker green as swamp).

I second a legend.

okay I see your points.
    I will think about it, or better talk to my friend on this.

@rillithis:
    thank you for the flowers.
    For the huge forest parts I only used the standard forest fill drawing tool which comes with CC3. I altered the settings a bit - put in some other symbols - nothing more nothing less