Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: March Entry: River Challenge

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post March Entry: River Challenge

I have no idea whether I will even complete this, and if so what this will end up looking like, but I figured I should just jump in and start taking part in these challenge thingies. (Too bad it's a challenge I won't be able to incorporate into one of my worlds.)

Besides meeting the river requirements, my hope for this is to come up with a good style for mountains in Inkscape.

First step: Nothing to see here just yet - Just taking the template and turning it into a vector image, starting with the coastlines.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip01.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	10972

Blog Entries

Done with the recreation of the template.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	wip02.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	11007

Blog Entries

I'm (slowly!) working on this map challenge. Turns out, the lakes are somewhat inconvenient for what I had in mind. I am currently in the process of placing the rivers, as a certain minimum distribution is a requirement for the challenge, and I do not wish to have to re-do large parts of the map simply because I cannot satisfy the counts. Currently, the river system looks like so:

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	wip03.png 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	11509

The tinted area is where I figure the main mountain range to (roughly) be.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

*Cracks whip* Back to work, you only have 5 days or so left!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    I'm (slowly!) working on this map challenge. Turns out, the lakes are somewhat inconvenient for what I had in mind.
    Heh... the template was done that way on purpose, otherwise, it would not be a "challenge"

Good start!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    *Cracks whip* Back to work, you only have 5 days or so left!
    Sah, yes Sah. Can't compete with HandsomeRob anyway, but I'll get it done over the weekend.

Ignore the messed-up black border.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	wip04.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	294.1 KB 
ID:	11522

Name:	wip04a.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	367.8 KB 
ID:	11523

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Heh... the template was done that way on purpose, otherwise, it would not be a "challenge"
    Well, I was going to abuse your template, but I couldn't in clear conscience do so without willingly violating what little I know about climatology and so on. So I settled for something straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    Well, I was going to abuse your template, but I couldn't in clear conscience do so without willingly violating what little I know about climatology and so on. So I settled for something straight forward.
    I am glad you didn't. I will be judging people based on the rules FIRST, and then based on aesthetics and originality. Soooo.. if someone made a map out of dogfood that looks horrible but follows the rules and 100 people make masterpieces that don't, the dogfood gets my vote. And since there were some explicit sentences about landmass and not extending the existing rivers and such..........
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Blog Entries

Oh, I am all for following the rules, but that doesn't mean one can't apply them in original ways. Except the lakes were just not right for what I wanted. Maybe next time.

Blog Entries

Minor update time. All the watercourses have been placed. I opted to include some of all of the definitions of watercourses:

Watercourse (noun):
    1. a stream of water, as a river or brook.
    2. the bed of a stream that flows only seasonally.
    3. a natural channel conveying water.
    4. a channel or canal made for the conveyance of water.

The exception is the natural channel, since I am not allowed to change the outlines of the landmasses.

The climate of this region is fairly simple; predominant westerlies rain off on the mountains' western slope, creating a very wet climate there, while the east is very dry. Water collecting in the lakes in the mountains enters the ground and also seeps off to create the rivers in the east, creating nile or fertile valley like areas. (The vertical arrangement of the predefined lakes on the western half of the template immediately suggested a north-southern mountain range to me.)

The local civilization. a theocracy somewhat akin to ancient Egypt, built their "holy city" in the center of the desert and constructed great canals to supply it with water and for easy transportation. It is a monument to the god of life's power to make the desert bloom - something the locals witnessed since ancient time - and a symbol of the nation's great power. Locks regulate the flow of water and prevent influx of saline water from the ocean. (I thought the map needed some kind of focus, and an Atlantis-style capital city with many canals seemed the most appropriate choice for this challenge!)

Further to the south, seasonal rains create temporal flooding that discharges in great rivers into the ocean. One of these seasonal rivers can be seen in the south-eastern part of the mapped region.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	wip05.png 
Size:	355.3 KB 
ID:	11709

And a version with my counts for all squares with more than 1 watercourse. All required squares should have at least one of them. "Red" squares from the template are marked with an "X". I actually found it much harder to get a river in every square than to fulfill the requirement for multiples, after all you can always solve that with tributaries.

Name:	wip05count.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	379.0 KB 
ID:	11710

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast