Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: World of Curunir

Wip World of Curunir

I’m starting a new map project now and I’m going to do the things a bit differently than before. I usually start with the continent and rivers etc, but not this time. I’m going to expand the small map I created while writing a tutorial for Photoshop: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4405
    I don’t have any idea yet if this is going to be a small or a big map or what kind of civilization there is. So I’ll just let the feeling take me and let’s see where it ends.
    Here is the first sample I have ready and I’m now expanding it further.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoC_1.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	509.0 KB 
ID:	11003  

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like the style, but maybe try giving the forests a bit of bumpiness? They look very flat compared to the mountain style.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    I like the style, but maybe try giving the forests a bit of bumpiness? They look very flat compared to the mountain style.
    I added some rougness under the forest. I this what you ment?

Name:	WoC_1b.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	11014  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think that's exactly what he meant. Dude, that looks awesome.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I played around a bit to create crumpled paper look on the map and here is what I got. I'm not sure exactly what I did as I tried so many things and I need to do some reverse engineering...But what do you think, would you prefer normal look without any effects or do you like this crumpled look?

Name:	WoC_1c.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	482.6 KB 
ID:	11044  

I really like the crumpled look, especially out over the water. Somehow, the map feels more real with it, I think.

That's beautiful, I really love how you made the trees and the mountains.

The only things I can think of that you might want to look at is maybe adding some variety in ground soil; it's mostly a savanah-type sand surface, right? Perhaps if you add some grassy patches - local weather conditions permitting - it would break things up a bit.

Secondly, the town on the river seems a little stuck-on, so to speak - I think this is mostly due to the drop-shadow and the smooth line where the town;s buildings follow the river's curve. I would suggest removing the drop shadow layer effect (which I assume you have used), and painting in the shading by hand, so you can more easily reflect a difference in heigh for the buildings, and leave a slightly more jagged line of structures along the riverbed with perhaps some of the sand there exposed instead of obscured in the shadows.

I Love the map though, and I am looking forward to seeing more of it!
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd say normal version...the crumpled paper only shows in the ocean and it turns the ocean into something more of a fresco...interesting idea to play around with tho.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Great style! I think I prefer the one without the crumpled paper effect, though.

I have not expanded much further out from this area yet, but I added some new tricks to add more variation to the ground. So I have added some harsh ground and grass as well. And I added small fields near the town. So small improvements so far only, but next thing is to expand the area.

Name:	WoC_2.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	575.5 KB 
ID:	11116  

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast