Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First map, a practice run

Wip First map, a practice run

Hello folks! This is my first post, and my first map to boot. Well, I've made maps before, but they were for different purposes and I feel they don't count.

In any case, it've mostly just used this to practice some techniques (in Photoshop 7) that I've seen before (from tutorials on this forum, video tutorials, and just figuring out how others have made their maps, etc), and there's no back story or even a name for this world/region. I am just hoping to get some feedback.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map001.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	197.9 KB 
ID:	11013  
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Nice tropical color scheme, looks sunny and happy. Mountains look good, forests look good; aside from the lakes having no egress (no rivers flowing out of the lakes to the seas) I'd say this is a keeper. Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice, and since you posted a map in your intro post - have some more rep. *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Nice tropical color scheme, looks sunny and happy. Mountains look good, forests look good; aside from the lakes having no egress (no rivers flowing out of the lakes to the seas) I'd say this is a keeper. Nice job.
    Well there you go, my first rookie mistake. I updated the map (see attachment) so that the water in the lakes has some place to go, and I dimmed the tropical greenery ever so slightly in some parts to make it a little less uniform. Thank you for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Very nice, and since you posted a map in your intro post - have some more rep. *bonk*
    Thank you, sir. Anything that has the bonk sound effect must be good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map001b.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	11047  
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

There ya go, most excellent.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Praise

Very nice colour scheme.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Lovely map - any chance of a higher res version?

Where do all these "this is my first map" people come off with such nice maps? My first map looked like some kind of Crayola aneurysm.

They're hired guns, ringers I tell ya.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Lovely map - any chance of a higher res version?
    I made it at exactly the same size that I uploaded it, so I'd have to reconstruct it. Given that I had no particular clue going into this map, I think my next map had better be something I actually planned ahead.

Then again, I could try and rebuild this map using some of pasis' techniques. Something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    Where do all these "this is my first map" people come off with such nice maps? My first map looked like some kind of Crayola aneurysm.
    Well I do have some experience with Photoshop (having dabbled with making Half-Life 2 textures has had a good influence on this map), and I have made maps before, though they were never made-to-be-pretty maps.

I looked into world mapping a while ago when I worked on a world map for a MUD, and I got back into it now since I will hopefully be doing the same thing again in the near future. Such maps, though, are made to directly render the game world, with specific hex colours determining the terrain type, so any effort to make the map look nice would ruin its purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    They're hired guns, ringers I tell ya.
    Ooh, that reminds me - I need to cash in my paycheck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast