Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: March Entry : Vallée Mystique

Wip March Entry : Vallée Mystique

Just a place holder for now, but hope to have something up later today or perhaps tomorrow.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Dontcha just love it when family shows up unannounced and wants to take you out for a belated birthday dinner?

So obviously I was a bit delayed in getting this posted, but here's a rough of what I have going on. By my count, it more than satisfies the requirements, and I may even have to trim some of the rivers, streams and creeks back to a certain extent. The elevations aren't finalized yet, but I needed a general idea of where things would be as I started to lay them in. For the most part, the elevations represented below are very generalized and possessed of a consistent slope. More than likely, as I start building up the elevation, I will be more specific about it in some areas to better represent the source and flow of water. But it is a start.

GW

### Latest WIP ###
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 03-09-2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Adding WIP Tag
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Be careful... it looks like the river on the mid right from the sample sketch has been directly extend, which is not valid in the rules of the contest. You might want to break that extension off and having it join the main trunk further downstream.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

DOH!

I did that with all three of the rivers from the sample sketch without even thinking about it. But that shouldn't be a problem, was planning to trim some of the rivers back anyhow, guess those three will be the first one's on the block.

GW
    GW

As was pointed out, I had inadvertently extended the main rivers. I've since cleaned that up as well as a few of the less essential creeks and streams. I hope to be working on the elevation model shortly, but with a graveyard shift tonight, I'm going to have to call it quits for today. I may, in the long run, trim off a few more water paths to make room for better definition of elevations, but I'll have to take a closer look at things during the slow periods at work tonight and in the morning.

GW

### Latest WIP ###
    GW

Wip

Thanks to some noisy neighbors yesterday afternoon, I didn't get much sleep before work and have spent most of today in bed. But I did want to try to accomplish something, so I decided to do a little "refresher course" in masks and textures today. It's really not much, but I need to get back in practice with those techniques in something other than Terragen. With an older version of Paintshop Pro, I'm not having as much success as I'd like at the moment, but then again, I'm still re-refining the process. As for actual progress on the map, not a whole lot worth mentioning. I did try laying out a "grassy" surface, but I'm definitely going to have to work on the "jaggies" along the coastal/shore regions. The grass looks pretty uniform right now, but I kept it simple for the time being with a bit of guassien noise over three layers using a "difference" and "overlay" blending mode. It's not a bad texture, but looks much better at mid-level resolutions than it does at full size or posting size. Hopefully I'll be able to re-refine the process before the challenge ends and have something complete to post as a final product.

GW

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VM Mask and Texture 1_0.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	361.9 KB 
ID:	11157  
    GW

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is coming along nicely, looking forward to seeing where you take it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

So I was going back and looking through the various stages of development and noticed an odd little quirk that, apparently, happened when I re-sized the image. The lakes in the south-eastern portion of the template got skewed somehow, one (the larger of the two) losing what appears to be a small island while the other (the smaller of the two) actually got broken into a pair of even smaller lakes/ponds. In accordance with the challenge specifications, I've had to back up a bit and fix this little problem, so it is going to be a couple of days as this is forcing me to re-route a few of the streams and creeks I had originally laid out. But I'm not one to complain. This actually makes a couple ideas I've been toying with a bit easier to implement.

As a point of reference, however, here is a better view of the area in question. And now I find myself wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and if these problems would be considered more than "minor alterations" for the purposes of fractalizing the coast lines.

Minor alterations are permitted to fractalize the coast lines, but the depicted rivers, lakes/seas, and coastal shape must be recognizable as derivative from the original. The rivers provided are the main river system of the section of land. It is expected (nay, demanded) that you add tributaries to these rivers as well as add additional river systems to suit your needs, but the existing rivers may not be lengthened.
    ::Edit:: In hindsight, it is quite possible that in the process of erasing the gridwork and the areas in which no additional water works were required, I might have pushed an RGB limitation a bit too high resulting in the breaking of the one lake into two and the sinking of the island in the other lake. In any event, it is, so to speak, back to the drawing board for a little bit to fix these things up before moving on with the project.

GW

first image = original template

second image = template re-sized with no other editing

third image = removal of grid work and highlighted areas, note how the lake has been split in two and the "island" has disappeared

Name:	map.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	11186   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	693.5 KB 
ID:	11187   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map3.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	259.2 KB 
ID:	11188  
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 03-11-2009 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Added Information
    GW

Wip

As I was working to fix the template lakes and rivers after noticing how they had been changed (see previous post) I was struck by a bit of inspiration for a different style approach based upon a map I found laying around the house. It's a slightly different approach for me, but I thought (or at least hoped) it would be something a bit unique as far as what I have seen of all the stellar maps posted in the guild so far. There's still a lot of work to do, but here is an early version for C&C.

GW

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	New Texture Testing.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	11324  
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 03-16-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Adding WIP Thumbnail Tag
    GW

Wip

Well . . . With my father back in the hospital again, I'm not having near as much time to work on this as I'd like, but we've all got our priorities. What little time I have had to work on this, however, has been spent working up a process to render mountains given the limitations of PSP 6.00. What I've come up with isn't too bad and does seem to suggest a bit of depth, though I'm sure it could be a bit better. If everything goes well (with my father, that is) I might still have enough time to finish this up before the challenge deadline, at least as far as detailing land and water. I doubt if I will have the time to properly label anything or add in any extra garnishments, but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. For the time being, here's another sample of what I'm working towards. The "grass" texture is still large (in terms of scale) and is there only to get a sense of what things will look like when I start adding in vegetation.

GW

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Mountain Testing.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	11525  
    GW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast