Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another tryout - a success I think

Map Another tryout - a success I think

Heya folks!

An mostly-finished map for you here, another try for another style (I'm currently expanding on a multitude of possible styles), which I think I will most-definitely use in the upcoming times.

The map is dedicated to our forum-user pasis, as I made it with his indirect help. His tutorial is "Teh Awesum" and yields excellent results.

I might want to add, I did a few additional things. For one, I used my own style of planting forests and for another I added some more ground-textures, vaguely with only little opacity, to add diversity.

What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dedicated_to_Pasis.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	404.1 KB 
ID:	11030  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar
    Ft. Wayne, IN

It looks nice, though the text over the forest is nearly unreadable.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Ghoraja Juun, my largely stagnated campaign setting.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Fresno, California USA

Very nice. Looks similar to the photoshop-layering style that I have had a little success with.

I think your individual trees are way outta scale with the mountains and sea, though. Either you have a planet with 22-mile-wide trees ... or you have not mountains and a sea, but a hill and a puddle.

Agreed on the trees... in my next tryout with this style I will reduce the trees... but a single "dot" could just as well stand for a bunch of trees, too... Just sayin'

Here's another picture, a further developed version of this map.

Name:	Dedicated_to_Pasis3.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	426.2 KB 
ID:	11031  

A second, far better map (my opinion obviously) with this style.

Name:	2nd_Dedicated_to_Pasis1.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	463.3 KB 
ID:	11032  

I think it's looking great. I like the feel of your water texture. It's very painterly to me.

Thanks, but that compliment has to be advanced to the forum-user Pasis, from whose tutorial I copied the texture and made it seamlessly tiling... the highlights are self-added (the white and dark-blue in the rivers).

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar
    St. Charles, Missouri, United States

Looks great young grasshoppah. As to the text, try a different color over the dark areas or use a solid stroke (sufficiently wide enough to be seen) in a color that matches the sand (not something like red).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Helsinki, Finland

Way to go Madletter...these are looking great waiting to see more. I'm a bit concerned about the forest though as the trees do look a bit like single trees eventhough representing a group of trees. Maybe you could try to have more dense forests and use this "light" forest as a extra in some areas to spice things up. But all in all looking good...

Skövde, Sweden

Great style!
    I like the separate trees, looks realistisc enough