Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *ahem* Yo.

Guild Member

Info *ahem* Yo.

Every now and again, I get this idea in my head to create maps. I game sometimes, but I don't run; I write sometimes, but at the moment all I have is an image and no plot. But I still love maps.

My preferred drawing tool is Paint.NET, which does a lot of nifty stuff and is a free download; I'll have to poke at it and see how well the tutorials here cross over for it.

Looking forward to looking and lurking...
    Peace,
    Heather

Post Ever try GIMP!

Welcome to the Guild!

Ever thought of using GIMP, there are some great tutorials for it on this site, and its also a free download - though a bit more complex than Paint.net and tons more powerful. Lots of guys here swear by it! You should consider it.

Its not my app of choice, but there you go! Again, welcome!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Welcome

Yo, peace out! Happy to have you looking and lurking, but don't be shy about posting your projects either. Lots of great voices here to admire and improve your ability. Regarding your software, I am personally not familiar with it ,bear in mind, though, that many guild members use more than one app to achieve their effects. By all means, rely on the software you are most familiar (and proficient) with, however don't rule out expanding either. I'm very interested to see which and what you manage to apply to Paint.NET (if it's free I may end up getting it as well). Anyways, welcome and cheers!
    Last edited by Feralspirit; 03-08-2009 at 03:15 PM.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Member

Yes, I've looked at GIMP before, but it mostly makes my brain hurt. A lot of the apps I've looked at do many of the same things, so the only change is in figuring out where to look and what steps to take.

I didn't actually have a map in reserve here, I just like maps. The last one I actually finished, I was probably 10.

Paint.NET gets updated pretty frequently, and supports user-made tools and plugins. I'm going to run through one of the tutorials on this site and see how well they translate over, but I'm guessing the answer will be "pretty good".

Cheers!

Post Not a GIMPer I see!

I know how you feel, I'm not really a GIMPer myself, however, regarding how looking at it makes your head hurt (I know how you feel) - I know that RobA's "Create a not-so-random Coastline" tutorial for GIMP is one of the best GIMP tutorials for any graphic need, and that tutorial can really give you a head's up on the various tools, menus and techniques using GIMP.

Since GIMP is free, and so is RobA's tutorial, I think it would behoove you to try, at least. You'd be surprised at how "un-head-hurting" it can be! You'll learn so much, you won't even notice how many other buttons and features you haven't tried.

Me, I avoid anything that says "Microsoft" with a wide berth, as a graphic artist, I think Microsoft should stay in the OS and Browser market (X-box too) and avoid the idea they are actually a software developer, which I think they are a poor one for that. Look at Publisher, its one of the worst conceived graphics apps in existence and no professional would ever touch it.

Just my 2 cents!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Member

Wip

Well, so far as I know, Paint.NET has nothing to do with Micro$oft, but I'd have to, you know, actually look that up to be certain.

Following and translating the GIMP tutorial, here's what I have so far, and I'm actually pretty impressed. I had some lucky accidents with a few of the texture effects, so I ran with them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map test.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	944.8 KB 
ID:	11126  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast