Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help for Paint.NET etc, please

Post Help for Paint.NET etc, please

Well, I've looked right through this forum for information about Paint.NET, and I've found nothing.

If anyone is familiar with it I'd like to get some idea of what it can/cannot do.

Also, assuming it does what I want, I'd appreciate it if someone could provide me with a link/zipfile for a version 2.7 or earlier, cos the current version won't talk to anything prior to XP.

It's a free program so there shouldn't be any copyright issues with a zip.

Currently, I'm using MS Paint, but I've been outgrowing it for a while. I need a bit more functionality, but I really don't have time to learn the big programs.

Mainly, I want to create some tiles and objects with transparent backgrounds, cutting and pasting from drawings, photographs etc. Nothing very complex, but a bit more than MS Paint can handle.

If there are any alternatives that are One Small Step up from MSP I'd be pleased to hear about them, too.

Cheers.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Why not use GIMP? It's also free, and a lot more popular here at the guild then Paint.net.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

GamerPrinter swears by Xara and that looks like a good choice for this.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

LOL, that's the second time today you've replied almost before I've finished posting.

Quick service!

I've heard via lurking on various sites that Gimp, Photoshop and Inkscape, to name three, are difficult to learn, with a steep curve. I don't have the time. I tried CC2 once and gave up.
    By the time I'd recapped what I'd learned last session, this session was over.

The advantage with Paint.NET (I think) is that it works very much like MSP and I'm already familiar with that.
    Last edited by icosahedron; 03-09-2009 at 05:23 PM.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

And another reply whilst I'm replying to the first reply.

Again, Xara has a reputation for some complexity. I'm a raw beginner, I'll never be a professional, and all I want for now is Paint with a couple of extra functions. Even Paint will probably do things I don't need.

Simplicity is the name of the game.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop Elements then. While PSP is more akin to PS it's much easier to learn and the bonus stuff is there if you ever get around to wanting them. Elements is kind of like a stripped down version.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Post Xara is very easy to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by icosahedron View Post
    And another reply whilst I'm replying to the first reply.

Again, Xara has a reputation for some complexity. I'm a raw beginner, I'll never be a professional, and all I want for now is Paint with a couple of extra functions. Even Paint will probably do things I don't need.

Simplicity is the name of the game.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.
    Select the app that's best for you, but as Ascension says, I swear by Xara. Where did you here it was complex - I taught me nephews how to use in one afternoon, just an hour or so, it they are 8 and 10 years old. Its very easy to learn and use, believe me.

You can download a free trial, use one of my tutorials and you'll be convinced fairly quickly. Once you get comfortable using it, send me a PM or post a thread regarding Xara and I'll pop my head in to guide on your specific project.

Only if you want to try!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I've seen a lot of these speed painter guys...this one does the Mona Lisa with MS Paint. If you have skillz, you can use anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk2sP...with-ms-paint/

Quote Originally Posted by icosahedron View Post
    I've heard via lurking on various sites that Gimp, Photoshop and Inkscape, to name three, are difficult to learn, with a steep curve. I don't have the time. I tried CC2 once and gave up.
    By the time I'd recapped what I'd learned last session, this session was over.

The advantage with Paint.NET (I think) is that it works very much like MSP and I'm already familiar with that.
    Why not pick something MORE powerful and use what you need. I would say go for GIMP as it's free and while it has many advanced features, you can keep it simple also until your ready to step up.

What specifically are you looking for that MS Paint can't do?
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I agree with others here. I will stand by CC3 until the end of time, but I will not suggest it to folks if it is not something they fear.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast