Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Big Project (Battletech)

Okay, as promised an update and even a bigger view on the whole thing. I am solely workin on the upper left continental mass and will probably work on that for the next days exclusively.

So I picked two areas from the whole continent where I began working first, trying a couple o' things and all that.

I marked the two main-work areas and will try to keep you all up-to-date. I'd love to get constructive criticism.

One area that needs work I have already selected: Rivers. They are too big and need some more work in the mountian areas, where they flow together. They need to be thinner and smaller overall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cartographers Guild 02 copy.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	11155  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This looks really nice but here are a few things that I'm seeing:
    1. tiling in the mountains...there's a regular shape that keeps popping up that seems to produce hills in a horizontal direction.
    2. forests look great but maybe a .5 pixel blur will take some of the crispness out, dunno, I'd have to see, maybe .3.
    3. rivers look fine, if you made them any thinner you'd have to increase the brightness so that they won't get lost or put a dark outer glow around them.

Anyways, those things aside, this is very nice and I'm a tad jealous, I must admit. Keep up the good work.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yeah the tiling issue is prevalent, but I will redo the mountains, hills and also the base texture, once Pasis releases the full-size textures in his tutorial v1.4.

I must admit I stole the textures from the small pictures of them in his tutorial to better emulate his work and they stuck with me.

So yeah, just waiting a little until I have the bigger textures and then it's party on!

Also thanks for the praise, I thrive on it!

Oh, I will also try the .3 and .5 blur and see how it works out, sounds like a good idea.

Wow, you're ambitious, MadLetter! That's going to keep you busy quite a while.

I was thinking you might want to have an outer glow type of effect on the coast, to have the coastline blend into the sea a little more. That's all I can think of to suggest though, it's a very nice use of Pasis' tutorial.
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

I present you a somewhat bigger update, folks. Sadly not on Ionus II itself, but I can proudly present you with Amis, first and habitable sattelite of Ionus II. It's an oceanic moon, settled by a few dozen million folks, tending to the fishing and sea-farming businesses, as well as naval research and construction (obviously).

Three pictures:
    • First one is the map patched onto a planet and clouds added for good measure.
    • Second one is the Facts Sheet
    • Third and last is the planet as base-map
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moon_i_amis_final.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	834.4 KB 
ID:	11200   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moon_i_amis_infosheet.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	11202   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moon_i_amis_psd1 copy.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	3.25 MB 
ID:	11203  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Whoa, very nice. I can clearly see an evolution of style. Well done.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks. I'll maybe brighten the moon a bit up, looks very dark... or you guys think dark is okay for the moon?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think it looks great.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The moon looks really good...

Blog Entries

I think it looks good but the dark side of the moon has what appears to be self lighting atmosphere. If the light was from behind then this might be ok but as the light is from the left then the right ought to be darker. The moon body looks great tho.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast