Thread: Kingdom of Lancroft and surrounding Lands

Wip Kingdom of Lancroft and surrounding Lands

So, Lancroft is a world I created many years ago as the setting of a long running DnD campain with my friends. Over the years I've drawn many maps of the place but they all look a little juvinile these days. After seeing some awsome maps on this site I've decided to try my hand at it again and make a proper go at producing a really awsome looking map!

**Most Recent WIP**

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lancroft MapWIP 04.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	57769
    Last edited by Morgoth883; 09-17-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Ok, so far I've marked out the land, added mountains, trees and rivers and I've added a nice aged paper effect to the whole thing. (I'm quite new to this so any advice on what I've done already is very welcome!)
    I've hit a brick wall now, though. I don't really know where to head next in terms of improving my maps apearence. I've still got towns, palce names and political borders to add, but I really want to get the terrain looking really nice first. Does anyone have any suggestions? The mountains and the trees are of perticular interest here, I think.

Here is the map as it stands without the texture on it~

Name:	Lancroft MapWIP 03.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	765.7 KB 
ID:	57770

And here is my attempt at making the trees a little more interesting. I don't think it worked very well, though.

Name:	Lancroft MapTree Symbols .png 
Views:	66 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	57771

I approve of this map!
    However, you could admittedly use a better tree texture.
    If its a medieval/fantasy map (which it seems to be), it looks good to have textures for different parts. Give it a search on Cartographer's Guild or just google. But I don't know what type of map you're aiming for, and you're a better mapper than me anyway

~Zuni

You might want to try tree thing, unless you're going for a different look.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

and here is the link to Tree Thing. And its younger brother Hill Thing. Both well worth incorporating into your work flow...IMOHO. I would suggest going to the last page and go backwards for the latest versions though.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent