Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Big Project (Battletech)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip New Big Project (Battletech)

Heya Folks!

After trying some new styles, I've decided on playing with Pasis' style and using it for my Big Project (TM).

I've been doing some planetary maps lately (see Sci-Fi section for one) for a new hobby I'm starting up with a few friends, namely Classic Battletech, the Tabletop Game.

We want to start up a roleplay Campaign about building up a mercenary company and as I am the guy who plunges into new hobbies and RPG's with a happily-mad giggling and glee, I've begun a to make a planetary map for said campaign.

So there was born Ionus II, the planet I'm talking about here.

About one day of work went into creating the Alpha-Map for this huge thing and since yesterday I begun making the map "real".

So yeah, here is a small part of the world and a "locator" picture, that lets you see where on the big map this part is.

For informations sake, the map is 8000 * 5000 pixels at 300 dpi

This is going to be my Big Project (TM) for the upcoming weeks!

P.S.: The part shown is not yet finished. It's a first-look on the map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001_upperleft.jpg 
Views:	678 
Size:	337.0 KB 
ID:	11137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001_upperleft_location.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	435.8 KB 
ID:	11138  

Ok.. that's gonna be HUUUUGE. Cool. Look forward to seeing this progressing.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Have fun stitching this thing together, I would never have enough patience. Looks good so far tho.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yeah I'd never have the patience either, but I agree - looking very nice so far.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

For some things, I do have patience. Like mapping and all other RPG-related stuff. I once even wrote a 60 page "book" written completely in-game because one of my players wanted to buy a book, so he could rationalize getting Knowledge (The Planes) in our D&D game (was back in 3.5E). After two weeks he got his wish, a complete book, "Adharals Magical Compendium".

Man that was some freakish stuff...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Oh yea, it's all about the passion. I used to do things like that but now...not so much
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yeah my "freakish stuff" meter is going down too, mostly because of college and other stuff. I hope that beginning Battletech Classic will bring back some of the fire

And currently it certainly does. I'm reading and working about it all the time, mostly because Battletech is representative of the good thing in my childhood. I've learned about my personal idol, Michael A. Stackpole, through Battletech and I read a lot about it...

Aaah, the good old times o' being a child.

Quote Originally Posted by MadLetter View Post
    For some things, I do have patience. Like mapping and all other RPG-related stuff. I once even wrote a 60 page "book" written completely in-game because one of my players wanted to buy a book, so he could rationalize getting Knowledge (The Planes) in our D&D game (was back in 3.5E). After two weeks he got his wish, a complete book, "Adharals Magical Compendium".

Man that was some freakish stuff...
    Wow... that's awesome. I only wish I had your patience and passion... I have enough passion to read about it but not enough patience or maybe 'ideas' to feel confident about creating up awesome stuff and a lot of it... way to go!

Thanks, but I really think it's mostly not that hard. If you like, for example D&D, and you're the DM, you'll do some stuff anyways, just a little more and you got some of that "weird overkill stuff"

Again thanks for the praise, though

Little update, more coming later this day.

The picture shows the planetary info, derived from the usual Classic Battletech Data on any given planet, with some added info (planetary day, diameter).

For those interested in it, I'll explain the stuff a little.

Star Type is the Spectral Classification of the star, K3V means basically it's a Orange Dwarf (Main Sequence) Star (warning, basic knowledge only, learned this today). The recharge time is how long a jumpship needs to load it's reactor with solar energy before it can begin a jump.

Time to Jump Point is the time you need from the Planet with a Dropship to the Jumpship Jump-Point (obviously).

Recharge Station basically means whats the space station near the jump point (my guess here, I'm still new to this ).

HPG-Class means which class the interstellar communications-equipment is. Class C means that every week once or twice the comm equipment will send a bundle of all collected "mail" to the next planetary relay station up to 50 parsec away. It's the 2nd lowest class.

Highest Native Life means - logically - the highest form of evolution from this planet before human settlers came.

Socio-Industrial level is a collection of 5 categories, each explained in short below:
    1. First letter (D) stands for the Technical Sophistication, which here means Low-Tech world, equivalent to 21st century technology freely available.

2. Second letter (C) stands for Industrial Development, which here means Basic Heavy Industry, equivalent to 22nd century earth.

3. Third letter (C) stands for Raw Material Dependency, which here means self-sustaining.

4. Fourth letter (C) is Industrial Output, which here means Limited Output - limited export, but can care for itself.

5. Fifth letter (B) is Agricultural Dependence, which here means Abundant World - enough to sustain itself and enough to export food.

That's it for now. Map update coming later this day - hopefully.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Planetary Info Sheet.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	11152  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast