Thread: Another continent

Professional Artist

Post Another continent

Three more maps from my atlas project - these three complete the continent of Astlania. I only have 23 more maps to complete!

-Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WesternAstlania.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	3.22 MB 
ID:	11140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CentralAstlania.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	11141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EasternAstlania.jpg 
Views:	579 
Size:	3.66 MB 
ID:	11142  

Looks awesome as always. I can stare at your maps for hours, there's so much to see and try to visualise. So much detail. But tell me, do you manually come up with all these thousands of names, or do you have a name generator to fall back on?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Brilliant stuff!

I dub thee newly repped *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Soixante View Post
    But tell me, do you manually come up with all these thousands of names, or do you have a name generator to fall back on?
    I used to use name generators, but now I do it all manually. Basically I will try to come up with a "model" language to base a region's names off, and gather maps or texts in those languages, then just plug away at it. Other regions I just let names come to me - usually they will feel like they are from the same language. For most of the countries shown here I used the second method, but I based the names for Nauwunok off the native american language Haida, and the names in the Cuatens (Inica, Upunucuaten, Huanchi, Jelupucuri, etc.) are based off languages spoken in the Amazon basin.

-Rob