Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nivian Valley

Post CC3 is basically CAD for mapmaking...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingbreaker View Post
    Thank you! This was exactly the sort of thing I was wondering about.
    Once I finish/get tired of my current maybe I will re-install CC and give it a whirl.
    CC3 (which I also use) IS built on a CAD engine, software similar to AutoCAD or what you would expect Architects and Engineers to use when creating production drawings. I was in the architectural profession for 10+ years and having been drawing on CAD for longer, I know my CAD

Anyways... having said that, CC3 is good at what it does, but has limitations in what and HOW you can do something. CC3 has some great specialFX filters that are totally worth while to get to know... also it can create some high quality maps with less effort then what you might have to apply in other packages or software. The learning curve isn't as hard in my opinion then for example the experience curve (as in, knowing what to do) in Photoshop CS4.

Being a CAD software it has things like symbols (blocks in AutoCAD terms) which are usually PNGs with an alpha-transparency... or something along those lines. I relate Symbols to blocks since BOTH symbols and Blocks use only the original symbol for memory, so adding more of the same doesn't inflate the file to huge proportions (not supposed to at least)... Just keep three things in mind... one, Photoshop is a pixel based program, Illustrator is a Vectorbased program, and CC3 is a 'vectorlike' program built on TurboCAD drawing engine.

I like your style Lordherman, have some reputation.
    The second map looks good as well. The only criticism I can give is concerning the rivers in the second map:

- I would expect the rivers to start very near or in the mountains. Some of them start in the forest.
    - Some of the rivers run into the sea and then continue. That looks weird.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123