Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nivian Valley

Wip Nivian Valley

First of all, hi! I'm Lord Herman, and I'm new here.

I've been working on this map of the area where my 4E D&D campaign takes place. It is centered around Silverhelm, the northernmost outpost of old Nerath, built to protect the empire against the hobgoblins to the north.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nivian Valley.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	647.7 KB 
ID:	11168

I made the map with Campaign Cartograper 3, with some finishing touches (mostly the canvas effect) done in Photoshop. I mostly just used the symbols and textures included in CC3, but the forest and sea textures are from these boards, and I drew the compass rose and the scale thingie in Illustrator.

Any advice and critique is appreciated. I'm not sure if I got the mountains right; I don't get to see too many of them in real life, seeing as I live in the Netherlands.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

For showing us a map in your intro post have a bit of what we around here call 'rep' *bonk*

I'm not a CC user, but there are plenty here as well as some really great tutorials.

Your map is pretty nice - I think it could use some blurring where the different terrain types come together so that the transition isn't so 'sudden', but not sure if that can be done in CC or not.

We have several other members here who are also from the Netherlands.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome! A fellow Dutch new-comer like myself, maybe we're a virus that is spreading.

Having no experience with CC at all, I can't really give advice on the practical aspect, but like Steel General has said, the terrain transitions are pretty sudden. You could use photoshop to blend it somewhat, though I don't think that's a small task, and it limits adaptability if you plan to change things around still.

The smaller fonts over the forests are a little difficult to read, and it might be cool if the origins of the rivers forks together from out the mountains. Aside from that, it's a pretty cool map!
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

Ok, (rolls up his sleevs and gets out Ye Old Book of CC3 effects).

The map is indeed good, but to my eyes, everything is as said before to 'sudden'. Now if that is the 'stylized' way you are going for then all is good. BUT, you could apply some of the following:

First. If you to change all those straight edged mountains to nice curves use the STRAIGHT TO SMOOTH tool (see example 1 below). Now you will end up with some odd looking mountains (see example 2) but that can be fixed. Myself I tend to draw thing like the Mountains and forest and other things that will go off maps by drawing my paths (straight or smooth) from an edge of the map around and then ending at another edge, then joining those with straight paths (lines) to form the edge of the map and then using the multipoly tool to join them together into a single polygon. It may be too much for you to apply the smooth effect right now, so if you feel like experimenting let me know and I can help further.

The best method would be to apply the EDGE FADE INNER to the mountains. Unfortunately, this ALSO will require some work for you. You will need to make a separate sheet for each contour level for the mountains. and apply the edge fade to each. (See example 3)

Failing that, you could simply play with the BLUR effect to the whole mountain sheet. This closely emulate the Edge Fade, but unfortunately applies the blur to the whole sheet and so can distort the bitmap.

Again, some things to think on and play with. But the map does indeed look really well done!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	516.2 KB 
ID:	11171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	515.0 KB 
ID:	11172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example3.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	517.1 KB 
ID:	11173   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example4.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	497.0 KB 
ID:	11174  
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks for the welcome, the rep, and the advice!

I've made a few changes to my map. I smoothed the mountains, gave them an inner fade effect, and coloured the lower slopes brown. I also fiddled with the edges of the forests, giving them a greenish fade.

The photoshop effects are a bit different this time, since I had to redo them completely. I haven't been able to figure out how to make photoshop do the same exact things to the picture every time; any tips on that would be most helpful.

So here's the second version of Nivian Valley:

Name:	Nivian Valley v2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	640.5 KB 
ID:	11182

Edit: D'oh! I just printed this version of the map, and realised I messed up with the creases. They're all straight, while I should have mirrored the horizontal creases over the vertical one to make it fold correctly.
    Last edited by Lord Herman; 03-11-2009 at 06:03 PM.

Nice map Herm! I liked your first version as well. Might wanna fade the color a bit if ya want that worn look.
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

Here's a new version. I drew some more rivers, which should give a clearer contrast between the relatively fertile Nivian Valley and the barren lands surrounding it.

I found a way to save the filters and stuff I used in photoshop, so this is probably the last time I'll have to draw those creases and tears in the map. Huzzah!

I'm not sure about the photoshop effects I used this time, though. I used some faint lighting effects to give the canvas some depth, but I had to make sure everything remained legible. Tell me what you think.

Name:	Nivian-Valley-v3.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	562.0 KB 
ID:	11289

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice, the only thing that "bugs" me is that the lakes in the valley are 'to smooth'. Now if that's intended then just ignore my blatherings. But I think I would 'rough-up' the edges a bit.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Whoa, unique, colorful and artsy. I'd call this done and conduct further experiments on something new. Only thing buggin me is the beveling of the mountains...edges are kinda straight.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

wow this is really cool!! I love the canvas feeling to it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast