Thread: How do i bend the text in GIMP?

Help How do i bend the text in GIMP?

Hello, I'm new here, and I'm new to making maps on computers, and guess what? i'm new to GIMP, so i really need help. is there any way i can take a text entry and bend it, like the name of a mountain range bent to fit right above it.
    Last edited by Pumpernickelsguy; 06-01-2015 at 08:12 PM. Reason: i forgot to subscribe to this post

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Hi Pumpernickelsguy, basically you do it with the "text along path" function. Here is a video tutorial i found. It took me some time myself to figure out the path-tool but actually it's not too complicated. Hope it helps. If you stuck somewhere, just ask.

While both Photoshop and GIMP feature "text on a curve", neither is best at it. I know many cartographers who rely on GIMP or Photoshop for most of the composition of their maps, that still choose to use a vector application like Inkscape or Illustrator to handle "text on a curve functions" as its much easier to place, alter, move, rotate and correct text and labels than any image editor. Really, everything from creating rivers and all text placement and borders is faster, easier, and simpler using any vector application. Xara Photo & Graphic Designer (my preferred vector application) allows me to place a curving line to follow any terrain, type in the text and fit it perfectly where it belongs. I can then simply copy the text, move it to another section of the map that needs a curved label, lengthen or manipulate the curve as needed, then place my cursor in the text and retype to whatever I need. Doing it this way is faster, easier, better than the same results using GIMP, IMHO.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

for simple text things
    or only a few locations The Gimp is "ok"
    but as you add more and more labels and more complex things
    Inkscape is what you will want to use
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Would second the comment about using Inkscape. Some things are just so much easier with a vector program and you have much more flexibility. When you've got your text looking the way you want, just export a PNG and copy that onto your map in Gimp.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"