Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: March 2009 Entry: The Ashakbur Goblin Reservation

Map March 2009 Entry: The Ashakbur Goblin Reservation

I started working on a challenge entry for this month without properly looking at the template map. I missed the compulsory rivers and got quite far before I realised my error. This is my second attempt. Still a long way to go though.

Its nice to be back in. Good luck everybody.

Torq

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mar09Chal2.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	730.2 KB 
ID:	11181  
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Damn! And might I add..double damn! Amazing. Awe-inspiring mountains...think I dislocated my jaw.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Well now that is very pretty. High bar this month as ever. I particularly like the title

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Great Gobs of Goose Poop!

That is really, really nice Torq.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hmmmm... it sure is .... Islandy....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

What happens to the north(top)?
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Guild Adept

Oh sure, make any attempts I may make pitiful and weak by comparison. That is a damn fine map.

Thanks for all the kind words. The strange grey area on top is supposed to be a snow and ice field. Its looks a bit rubbish though. I'll have to find some better way of doing it. The map is very "islandy" I agree. I alwats say "use your jpg artifacts as best you can". I think it creates the idea of a wild and fairly young coastline.

I think there is more skill from Waldronate in here than mine. The base heightfield is generated with Wilbur (Ridged Perlin I think). This was then taken into Gimp and I raised and lowered ground by lightening and darkening areas on the greyscale heightmap to coincide with the challenge template. Then back into Wilbur for some serious erosion. Back to Gimp and have a base land layer over a sea layer. I used the challenge template to cut out a land shape and then cut that out of the land layer so the sea shows through. Then I apply the eroded heightfield as a bump map to the land layer. For the highground I went into the greyscale height field and fuzzy selected a large area of high ground. Then a new layer and fill the selection with a light brown fill. To this I once again apply the bump map, but with more (about double) intensity. I repeat the same process with another layer of a smaller area covered by the mountains and fill with light grey. Then bump map this with even more intensity. You end with three separate land layers that you can merge togther if you want to. I find the best results are achieved with bump mapping on light colours. Dark colours tend to mask the bump.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Blog Entries

That looks very nice indeed. The only issue I can see is the little pool on the left which has two exits to the sea. Still, I can talk cos on mine I have none at the mo.

Very nice colour and shading as usual. I agree that the snow needs some work but I find snow hard as I have mentioned quite a lot recently. So no tips from me on that front.

This map is gonna be the one to beat I think.

Edit -- ahh whoops zooming in I see that it is two seperate tributaries. On the lightbox it really looks like one single line tho.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast