Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nihon - Clan Imbe grounds

Here is also a quick render of the above scene.. terrain needs a bit tweaking and the textures aren't layed out in right order.. but it gives an overall view of the concept.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imbe-test1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	11411  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Very cool. Makin me speechless.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yeah, but it's feedback I need Suggestions about the placement of forests (or comments if I need ones).. Does the terrain look natural.. any suggestions are welcomed, even from novices.. (like me), so please open your coffin of words and hit me with a couple of sentences

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

First off these are all fantastic!

I guess for forest placement you'll want to keep in mind the 'tree-line' which in a way you already have built in to your image (where the terrain changes from green to gray), I would think as long as you have no/little forests above that you'd be OK. But I'm no expert on the subject by any means.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

I love all this kind of stuff!

- really have to get to learn it some day! I think I have Vue or Bryce. too many things to learn - I'm drowninggggggg!

It'll be great to see some tutorial on methods. cheers! Look forward to the next postings

Here's a silly question:

Are there freeware equivalents to any of this stuff?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Praise

This is really nice stuff

What are you studying at school that you get to play with stuff like this?

As for your questions about trees, like SG I am no expert but I do have a few thoughts.

These look like young mountains with all the jagged ridges and stuff. You also have vegetation that goes over some of the ridges so they are not so high that there above the tree line exactly. They just do not have enough ground to support large growth. Scrubs, lichen and grasses would be fine on the slopes, but if you want trees you should keep them in the flats or lowlands of the valleys.

I would also add some drainage somewhere on the western slope.

Just my two cents worth.

Nice job. *bonk*
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Kingbreaker View Post
    Here's a silly question:

Are there freeware equivalents to any of this stuff?
    Well actually.. that's not a totally silly question.
    First of all, you can get a personal training version of vue 7 for free. It has some restrictions about the renders you can produce, but otherwise it is a fully functioning version without any time constraints. You can download it here: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/try/vue_7_ple/

And if you want to test out bryce 5.5, you can get a full & free version from http://download.cnet.com/Bryce/3000-...-10696716.html

If you want to test lightwave for 30 days, then you can get if from (but evaluation software isn't really what you were looking for?): http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lwtrial.php

And for terrain generation, you can get GeoControl 2 Beta for free from: http://www.geocontrol2.com/Downloads...Demo_Setup.exe

That should get you started

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    This is really nice stuff

What are you studying at school that you get to play with stuff like this?

As for your questions about trees, like SG I am no expert but I do have a few thoughts.

These look like young mountains with all the jagged ridges and stuff. You also have vegetation that goes over some of the ridges so they are not so high that there above the tree line exactly. They just do not have enough ground to support large growth. Scrubs, lichen and grasses would be fine on the slopes, but if you want trees you should keep them in the flats or lowlands of the valleys.

I would also add some drainage somewhere on the western slope.

Just my two cents worth.

Nice job. *bonk*
    I study information technology as my minor subject..

I agree with you considering the treeline. And the drainage on the western slope is also a good idea. I have to consider how much additional work it will cause if I add a flow to that part of the mountain But good tips in general, thanks for the input!

Guild Member

These images are really impressive. Thanks for pointing out GeoControl 2, Jykke. Have some rep for doing so!

Quick question: Have you also tested World Machine 2? It seems to be quite similar. I can see myself using terrain-generation tools for quite a few maps.

But at the moment, I'm not sure which software is better. GeoControl 2 or World Machine 2?

Does anyone have experience with both programmes?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast