Thread: Arkenfall: Regional Cartography

Map Arkenfall: Regional Cartography

I'm thrilled I stumbled upon these forums; I've never seen so many talented folk all in one place, so forgive my inexperience; this is both my first post and my first attempt at any sort of cartography.

I drew this up one evening as a regional map for a D&D campaign I'm running called Arkenfall. I'm hoping to use it for smaller area maps in the future, but last night I decided to try my hand at colouring/texturing it. I got partway through but I'm struggling with creating a realistic yet pseudo-painted effect with the terrain. Any comments or advice would be very much appreciated!

Unedited:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unedited-2000.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	11567

Coloured:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hirezmap-2000.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	11569
    Last edited by - tom; 03-21-2009 at 11:13 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This is quite nifty...I can see great things to come of this style. No real criticisms from me as I always value something beyond the norm. What I would suggest tho, is some lighter color grays and brown splotches in that dark part (make it look all broken and crunchy and spooky) and maybe some slight blur (1-pixel or so) on the ocean to soften the white lines a bit. Cool job, do some more.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

There's some potential in this style. It's a bit dark, but with tuning of the colors will fix that quite easily. Not bad at all

Hi Tom, and welcome to the Guild. I really like the colour pallette you've chosen. It looks like what you are doing is overlaying colours on top of your handdrawn map, but not altering the underlying map at all - which is fine, but you might want to say, work on the mountains a bit more to give them a more shaded look rather than just remianing as upside down V s.

Must finish my tutorial on this...

Great work so far, but I guess my advice is that now you have in a raster editor (what software are you using btw?) you can go much further than colour overlays and textures.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard, and since you have maps in your first post have a bit more 'rep' *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.