Thread: GIMP, Schmimp... A Planet in PDN

Guild Member

Map GIMP, Schmimp... A Planet in PDN

For a first time image, I'm pretty happy. Paint.NET has loads of user-created plugins that rival anything I've seen in other graphics programs (which isn't much, I admit, but still).

Behold mah plannit an feeer meh.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planet.png 
Views:	313 
Size:	394.6 KB 
ID:	11208  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd chop out some clouds to show more land/water but I respect ya authoritah on da P.N
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Member

Well, yeah. I was just thrilled that I got the clouds to work as a translucent layer and not block out the entire planet. Wasn't sure what would happen once I rendered them into spheres.

Annnnd, it's probably for the best that the land is mostly obscured; it makes me look more skilled that way.

I'm experimenting and still learning about what a lot of these things can do. I intend to update the "maps in PDN" tutorial that someone posted here a while back, once I get a little more familiar with mah n00 toyz. First thing I want to try is creating layered terrain with the threshold tool...

Three-year-old wants attention, though, so that has to wait.
    Cheers!

Nice globe, though the athmosphere might be too thick (viewed from the side, where you can actually see some space through it).
    Last edited by Jykke; 03-13-2009 at 12:24 PM.

Guild Member

Well, I never said it was a habitable planet...
    This was more of an experiment to see if I could back up my assertion that Paint.NET can do spiffy mappity goodness just like the more popular GIMP and PS. I've been having a plugin download festival for the past two days, and I expect to be able to "translate" just about any PS/Gimp tutorial and make it work, in a few more days.

Glad you like the globe!

Guild Adept

I've heard a lot of good things about Paint.Net. I certainly like your planet so either the program is as easy as you say OR you have the talent to get the most out of it.

And I'm glad my children are older now. Different challenges but at least we can talk.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Well, PH, you have actually restored my faith in Paint.net. I was told about Gimp and paint.net at the same time and both were well recommended (was looking for something to take my hand drawn landmasses into so I could add terrain features). I actually downloaded PdN first but the tuts I found were hardly instructive in how to go about doing mapping stuff. Then I found the CG and the wealth of "targeted" tutorials for Gimp and downloaded that and got a lot further with it.

I love that globe, BTW, and thanks for showing me that someone that I know wasn't just whistlin' dixie.

The only crit I have for the globe is that the Space that is visible through the atmosphere seems way too dark. I would think that it would be paler due to seeing it through the atmosphere. Similar to the outer layer, if not even paler

Good job again, have some rep
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

I'd agree with the others, Heather, but it's not just the coverage it's the basic shape of the clouds too...they don't look very vortexy (is that a word?) like clouds at that distance tend to. Like the planet though!

Guild Member

I'm stunned I got rep at all for this... *grin*

And I do know that this map is flawed on many levels. My main intention was to see if I could work with PDN to get any kind of decent image at all, and I can. My secondary intent was to get an image that wouldn't make people barf at first sight.

I'm flitting between hobbies at the moment, so there will be a delay until I get another image done and uploaded, but I will be taking everyone's suggestions into account.

Cheers!