Thread: Illustrator/Photoshop quick tip

Post Illustrator/Photoshop quick tip

One of the biggest frustrations I have with Adobe's CS software is that they don't usually allow you to use your mousewheel to zoom in and out of your image, centered wherever your pointer is. Usually you have to hold one finger on the ALT key while scrolling to allow zooming.

This drives me up the wall.

Though Photoshop allows you to change mousewheel behavior, the other programs don't (And why not pray tell? Does one hand not talk to the other in that company?). Thus a minor workaround:

If you have a Microsoft mouse or some other device with programmable buttons. Simply use the mouse's software to reassign one of them to the ALT key and your right hand (I'm a southpaw) is blessedly free to do whatever other keyboard tasks need be done.

Also in Photoshop if you have OpenGL support enabled pressing the H key and clicking takes you immediately back to the fit screen view with a square as your pointer depicting your previous zoomed in point of view. You can now move that square and releasing the mouse button zooms back to your previous zoom level at your new PoV location. Neat!
    Last learned: Changing layers in PS to Smart Objects before Free Transforming them allows lossless transformations.