Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some islands

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wip Some islands

Since I have a new tool to play with (and am learning how to use it) I'm heading in a more artsy direction...finally. Here are some islands I came up with just to play around. I'll put some labels and grafix on it and call it done tomorrow...unless I decide to play with some trees.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	islands.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	11242  
    Last edited by Ascension; 03-14-2009 at 03:11 AM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

*gawks*

Underpinning good artistry is skill, which you possess in abundance. Very nice.

I really like your more artsy style. What are the new tools you're playing around with?

Looking good. Love the rivers
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You're 'playing around' usually ends up looking a whole lot better than my serious attempts.

@Clercon - I believe he unearthed/resurrected his tablet.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yep, the tablet rocks; also I played around with gradients. Inspired by YodA's post ("gradient goodness"...I used one called wiki-1.03 with my own tweaks). I did my usual setup for a map but then did the whole thing with one of those gradients (after some tweaking of the grayscale clouds)...then some colors overlays and plopped on my usual hills and mountains then some dodge/burn for bump mapping. The rivers I did the same way...gray overlay layer, burn in some river valleys (pressure sensitive tablet really helps for thick and thin lines) then delete the medium gray from the layer then add a layer style of inner glow of the water color.

Thanks for the compliments y'all I often find that when I just start messin around, with no goal in mind, that I make something much nicer than the stuff I really try to do nice, kind of like some law of inverse proportionality...the harder I try the crappier it is Well, back to my secret lab to mess around with trees for a while...
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Very nice indeed. Have you got a dissolve layer in there - there seems to be some individual pixel defects around the map?

It looks great. It has kinda misty feeling like you would be looking from the skies and the air between makes the land slight foggy. Cant wait to get more details to this...you are adding more details right? Please?

I'm about ready to call this one done...unless anyone sees anything I need to fix.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	islands.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	11314  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast