Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'd appreciate your input

Just took the time to look closely at this map.

What I like the best is that the "paper" is the dominant texture. It does look like an inked map that had washes of colour placed on it for emphasis (blue water, green woods, dark rough terrain).

Extremely well done. My complements.

-Rob A>

That's a great looking "old-style" map. I would love to hear some of your thoughts on the creation process you used. I really like the "chicken-scratch" shading you did around the mountains as well.

The Campaign Builders' Guild - Part of the Alliance of Creative Communities, the Campaign Builders' Guild is your home away from home while searching for tips, reviews, criticisms, helpful hints, and resources for building a wonderful campaign setting.

Turtles All the Way Down - Blogging about Building Campaigns.

Thanks, Ishmayl! (By the way, I can call you Ishmayl, can't I?)(sorry, bad pun, but couldn't resist...)

I actually have not looked at this map as its creator in quite some time, only as a GM. (I've been working on city drawing lately.) I will, however, very soon need to make a continent map in the same style since those wild and wooly characters of mine will soon be heading south, out of Pollexia. I think I will make a tutorial as I draw that map, much as I did for the city of Eneini.

If I can answer anything right now, however, I'd be glad to--just ask! I'm a novice, but I'll do whatever I can!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon
    I will, however, very soon need to make a continent map in the same style since those wild and wooly characters of mine will soon be heading south, out of Pollexia.
    AAAAHHHHHHH....MY EYES!

Must stop reading Pyrandon's posts.
    Innkeeper at the Darkwood Inn. The Foul Punster of the Cartographers' Guild!

Better role playing than dragon slaying!

Quote Originally Posted by Naryt
    AAAAHHHHHHH....MY EYES!

Hahaha. Well, at least I didn't say anything about the three Giants waiting in ambush for you guys on your way of the country!

Oh....uhhh.... Did I type that out loud?.....

Don
    My gallery is here

Since a few new posts were put in this old thread, I just remembered I forgot to post that E.R. Eddison map I mentioned way up above, so here it is. One of the sentimental favorites from my youth--I used to copy its style in my little map sketchbook I kept as a kid. Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	three_kingdoms_246.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	362  
    Don
    My gallery is here

Quote Originally Posted by Naryt
    AAAAHHHHHHH....MY EYES!

Hahaha. Well, at least I didn't say anything about the three Giants waiting in ambush for you guys on your way of the country!

Oh....uhhh.... Did I type that out loud?.....

FLEEEEEEEEE
    Innkeeper at the Darkwood Inn. The Foul Punster of the Cartographers' Guild!

Better role playing than dragon slaying!

I will, however, very soon need to make a continent map in the same style since those wild and wooly characters of mine will soon be heading south, out of Pollexia. I think I will make a tutorial as I draw that map, much as I did for the city of Eneini.

If I can answer anything right now, however, I'd be glad to--just ask! I'm a novice, but I'll do whatever I can!
    I can't wait to see that tutorial. I think your style of region mapping is my favorite I've seen thus far. I love how the icons you used for cities and towns and such actually blend in with the map, as opposed to how often-times, icons like that stand out and look out of place on a hand-drawn style map. How did you do the coloring for your map? The rivers and forests just have such a nice look to them (even though they're only just one shade as far as I can tell); my coloring (which I do in a very old version of Paintshop Pro) always looks very flat.

The Campaign Builders' Guild - Part of the Alliance of Creative Communities, the Campaign Builders' Guild is your home away from home while searching for tips, reviews, criticisms, helpful hints, and resources for building a wonderful campaign setting.

Turtles All the Way Down - Blogging about Building Campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmayl
    I love how the icons you used for cities and towns and such actually blend in with the map, as opposed to how often-times, icons like that stand out and look out of place on a hand-drawn style map. How did you do the coloring for your map? The rivers and forests just have such a nice look to them (even though they're only just one shade as far as I can tell); my coloring (which I do in a very old version of Paintshop Pro) always looks very flat.
    Wow! Thanks so much for such high praise. I really--and this is 100% honesty, 0% humility--I just play until it feels right.

Mainly I do two things to my maps:

1) make sure whatever is in the background (in this case, the parchment) is rich and interesting, then either turn the opacity down to about 80% so that richness and interest shows through OR play wiht the blending mode of the layers (failure to do this is the main reason for the "flatness" in maps, I think).

2) soften the hard lines when the entire map is complete--in this case I applied very light blur & soft light filters.

I hope that helps at least a bit! And thanks again for your kind words.
    Don
    My gallery is here

Professional Artist Facebook Connected kalmarjan's Avatar

One thing I find works really well is to apply a color burn to all line work in my maps, so it looks as if it was actually drawn on the parchment.

Hope that helps..

Sandeman

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast