Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Working on a publication: Kaidan

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Just had to chime in one more time ... knowing how passionate you are I'm sure this project will turn out flawless and with a huge sweeping scale. I haven't played D & D for 20 some odd years but I'm actually looking forward to finding a hobby store to buy it once it comes out if for nothing else than to say "I know this guy, he's a friend of mine, we hang out all the time."
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post Artists for the Kaidan Project

So having done many professional cartography commissions I know the business from the artist's side, but never before had I played the role of Art Director. But that has been my primary chore the last week or so.

I've heard mention on the various forums, some people buy D&D products just for the art, and with that thought in mind, hopefully my artist lineup will make the product that much more a must have.

I posted the link to one of the artists earlier in the thread - Simon Turnbull (aka Atreides) and I'll do it again below. But now I have two more artists on board.

Simon Turnbull's art

One artist is Jan Posposil (aka Merlkir) of South Africa is currently doing sketches for the cover and one full color interior shot of a samurai and a PC western armored fighter in combat, plus several B/W pieces.

Jan Pospisil's art

The last artist, so far and really the most renowned is Mark Hyzer who has done art for WotC Magic the Gathering CCG. His stuff is especially creepy, but he'll create work for the Yurei ghosts, Demon-Spirits and denizens of the Hell Realm. Since he has the most recognition, he's also the most expensive, so I see one full color page, and several B/W pieces. Note: Mark's art is 18+, some nudity here.

Mark Hyzer's art

A few others will be doing some Pro Bono work, that hopefully I can pay them once the publication is being sold online.

No doubt, I'll include a few of my own illustrations and of course all the maps, as well as using some public domain art, mostly Japanese Ukiyo-e art is filler.

Looks like the project should be ready for publication by the third week of June. I've created the outline, and its currently being written by Andy Champaign a published writer and my collaborator on the publication at Dementia 5.

So things are moving forward - enjoy the art in the links!

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-22-2009 at 11:41 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    One thing though, both the publisher and I prefer realistic, scary illustration with a Japanese flavor, however he suggested (against my taste, but...) to use Manga-styled art in order to attract a larger and younger audience.
    I wanted to weight in on this. While I am with the majority here on not caring much for manga art, you might want to compromise a bit for the purpose of marketing. Of course, I always advocate for selling out artistic vision (and morals) for sweet delicious success, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Anyways, here are my reasons.

People are attracted to eye-candy, and they like what is familiar... especially kids, and to a lesser extent teenagers. Also, Manga is inexplicably hugely popular. There is probably a value to making your product appeal to the widest range of demographics possible. I think you will find it more rewarding to get your product out there and get it to sell well than sticking too tight to your artistic guns.

Also, manga style may be a little bit cheaper and faster to produce than well shaded, realistic art. You can take a lot of liberties with a cartoon style that you can't when you try to be realistic (damn that uncanny valley). World of Warcraft showed me, among other things, how important style can be. I've played a number of games that try to be more realistic and dark, but the art ends up causing a lot of cognitive dissonance. I think there is probably a lesson in that.

You might spend some time with the publisher and the artist and see if you can come to a compromise vision. Especially if he is an industry professional with some experience, as marketing is a lot more about statistics than artistic vision. I think first and foremost you want to move product... especially with your first venture. That will be the greatest personal reward.

PS. This is an awesome thread, and congrats on getting your work to this stage GP. I'm jealous!

PPS. That said, those are beautiful artists you've lined up.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Some of Mark Hyzer's art, to me at least, has a bit of a 'Geiger-esque' feel to it.

Congrats again GP good to see so many of my guild friends meeting with success!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I really like Jan's stuff...makes me want to start drawing again more seriously. Can't wait bro and hope things keep going smoothly.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Quote Originally Posted by msa View Post
    You might spend some time with the publisher and the artist and see if you can come to a compromise vision. Especially if he is an industry professional with some experience, as marketing is a lot more about statistics than artistic vision. I think first and foremost you want to move product... especially with your first venture. That will be the greatest personal reward.
    OK, already knowing my preference for realistic art, my collaborative partner on the project, Andy Champaign of Dementia 5 Publishing has just got back from Anime Boston trade show and recruited about a dozen interested Anime/Manga artists who are top in their field professionals. So we'll see. In the next week I'll be getting lots of portfolio's to review.

While the adventure arc still needs some art to enhance the publication, where my true needs for art will rest in my intended setting manual, with designs on being a standard hardbound manual, like the PH or DMG. So that's a big project, and an expensive one to boot. Seeing some serious work needed for that handbook, I can see a later release say October? Could be a good Halloween release if its ready by then.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Post Anime might work...

As I mentioned in my last post, my collaborative partner in my Kaidan project, went Anime Boston and recruited some Anime/Manga artists to possibly join the project.

One already showed up on the D5 forum, and to my surprise is really quite good, inspiring really. So for high action scenes, views of the godlings and nature spirits, and some doe-eyed girl scenes, perhaps Anime may bring something positive to the publication.

We'll have to see. Here's a link to one of those artists, Schin is the name:

Anime Artist Images.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    As I mentioned in my last post, my collaborative partner in my Kaidan project, went Anime Boston and recruited some Anime/Manga artists to possibly join the project.
    Well, I think the style is very on-point for what you are working on. Also, definitely straddling the line between the cartoonish manga style and a more realistic eastern-inspired art. Nice work.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'd have to agree with the last poster in that thread, they aren't really anime (but the influence is there) - I think that might work well for you GP...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Count me in as a third yes vote for the same reasons given above.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast