Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steel Remains

Really nice map and congrats to winning the prize. Well deseved I would say.
    I think we all feel the same way with our maps. You look at them for hours and you know all the weak spots and things you missed. It's like when renovating your house (I'm living in an old villa from 1903 so I know about renovating) it all look crap to you, 'til you put in all your furniture and stuff. Then no one can see what you missed (it's like gaussian blur in photoshop)

I was in the bookstore today and what did i see? The MMPB Version of The Steel Remains. And it includes ravells' awesome map! The black n white does not do it justice but ah well...it still looks top notch. AND what else did my eyes detect? Yes, the url to the cartographers guild. Cool stuff! Thanks ravs!

Cheers
    Eilathen
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Those mountains & the plains coloring are mind-blowers. I also dig your use of text styles. All-around fine summer fare! Two thumbs up.

You know, I gotta say, though, I ain't happy with the river coloring. And I don't think I've ever seen river coloring done to my liking, especially at the estuaries -- at least, in a map style that emulates the birdseye realworld coloring. In this case, that than dark line that works on the coast kinda makes the thinner river areas a bit off, esp. at headwaters. I wonder if that line could be thinned & faded the further upriver it goes, without a hundred extra hours of work. But then what to do with the light blue color? Hmm.

Anybody got an example really awesome birdseye headwater-to-estuary style?

Grr @ rivers. If we can have the River Police, then I want to form the Misoflustors.

holds a candle to your maps, Torq, or GPs or especially Bohunk's, Torstan's, Ascension's and Toff's whose maps I just salivate over
    That's an awfully kind thing to say, and for my part I think the drooling is mutual. That doesn't quite sound right, though, does it ...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

What's a little drool between friends...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    I was in the bookstore today and what did i see? The MMPB Version of The Steel Remains. And it includes ravells' awesome map! The black n white does not do it justice but ah well...it still looks top notch. AND what else did my eyes detect? Yes, the url to the cartographers guild. Cool stuff! Thanks ravs!

Cheers
    Eilathen

WHAT??? It's out??

I've been trawling the bookshop every week or so and haven't seen it ....curse Waterstones!

Oh man, I should have dithered in b&w rather than going greyscale....I hope it looks ok.

Toff! I'm amazed you could see the esturies....at that size of print they've got to be really small.

Eilathen, the Editor said that they would use the colour version on the website....so let's hope.

ohhhh....Eilathen...thank you, thank you, thank you.....It would have never happened without you!

Seriously I'm going to break out the champagne tomorrow...this feeling beats the heck out of being a lawyer and winning cases. I don't think I've ever felt such a sense of accomplishment in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    amazed you could see the esturies....at that size of print they've got to be really small.
    Well, there's towns on top most of the estuaries (which makes sense) but one's clear. Anyway, this map's estuaries look fine; it's the headwaters that made me rant in general.

going to break out the champagne tomorrow
    CHEERS! Here's to Ravells on bookstore shelves!

Ah I see what you mean now toff....you're right the headwaters are really blobby....drat.

The release date for the book here is 9th July so the Champers will have to wait for a little while yet!

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Seriously I'm going to break out the champagne tomorrow...this feeling beats the heck out of being a lawyer and winning cases. I don't think I've ever felt such a sense of accomplishment in my life.
    Wait... you're a lawyer?

I guess we all do what we have to in order to make a living... but it's what we do for love that really defines us! [At least lawyering is more interesting than what I do.] If you're a lawyer in England, does that mean you have to wear the robes and wig? I wonder what court would be like over here if we made our lawyers do that.

Also... since this is now in a real live fantasy novel, doesn't that make you an industry pro, too?
    Last edited by Karro; 06-26-2009 at 04:28 PM.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast