Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New wannabe cartographer, first map

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Try Ascensions suggestion of the inner glow or if you like the outline/stroke, choose a color that's some kind of mid-point between the ocean and the land.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip

That last version was with a black, 10 pixel inner glow, but I think I botched it

My guess is that the transition to forest is too dark and too close to the shoreline, making the glow on the lowland barely noticeable because there only rarely are enough pixels of lowland to appreciate the effect.

Very nice first map. If the mountains are still a separate layer I might suggest adding a very light bit of noise. That will make them appear less blurry (not much, just enough to sharpen them up).
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip

or if you like the outline/stroke, choose a color that's some kind of mid-point between the ocean and the land.
    Hey, that worked - I changed the stroke color to one closer to the lowland color, and the result came out looking pretty good to me.

If the mountains are still a separate layer I might suggest adding a very light bit of noise. That will make them appear less blurry
    Oops. The mountain layer was not supposed to be that blurry, but I had the layer opacity set to 50% from an earlier stage Fixed that now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	branch_1_10.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	685.5 KB 
ID:	11305  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12