Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New wannabe cartographer, first map

Wip New wannabe cartographer, first map

Hello everyone,

A while ago I became interested in making my own maps for game use. I've since tried a few of the tutorials on this site, and finally I am now starting on the real thing. As with most starters, I am hungry for comments and suggestions as I go along.

For the most part, this is a map just to let me develope my style - it is not (yet) part of any game setting.

I seem to have a few style issues:

I like my maps bright and a bit cartoonish. I also like irregular coastlines and island groups. To make even the smallest islands visible, I've applied a high contrast style for the coastlines. On the other hand, my preferred style for mountains uses shading rather than hard outlining, and I've been going back and forth to keep the two styles from seeming mismatched when mixed in one map. Not sure if I've succeeded, but giving higher contrast edges to the mountainous terrain and putting plenty of irregularly shaped forest into the map seems to mitigate the issue.

I am currently working on this map using GIMP only, but I consider adding InkScape to my toolbox.

Cheers,
    Nils
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	without-annotation.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	729.7 KB 
ID:	11275  

Welcome Nils the Giant!

You're off to a good start with your map, I like the little islands and almost fjord-like jagged coastline. The mountains do seem a little separated from the surrounding terrain, my suggestion would be to have a more gradual process from plains to foothills to mountains to peaks. That applies to texture as well as colour and shading.

Another thing is that having the irregular coastline as well as equally irregularly shaped forests gives the map a busy, cluttered feeling. It might be worth looking into decreasing the irregularity of the forests (in parts, at least) in contrast to the coastline.

The last thing I can think of is maybe playing a little with the outer glow of the landmass into the sea. Again, a slightly more gradual fade set against the jagged coastline might look pretty neat.
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

Blog Entries

Yeah thats my immediate thought that with the black line around the land and then the aqua hard line its like a striped edge to the land. A slower fade on the aqua to the blue sea would make that look better I think. Still, I like the map and it does fit in with your stated aims for it so good job - and welcome btw.

Wip

Flaterectomy, it seems that you really can spot other dutch-speakers with frightning accuracy

Thank you both for the suggestions. I'm still spending some thoughts on what to do with the forests to reduce clutter, but making the fade from the coastline more gradual was simple enough and does give a slightly different feel to the map already. (attached)

Name:	more-gradual-sea.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	667.1 KB 
ID:	11281  

Wip

Rather than reduce forests, I've changed the map to use only shades of green on the land. It does seem easier on the eyes.. though this may be wishful thinking on my part.

But is it still clear enough where the highlands and mountains are? It may be too easy now to confuse the mountains for forests, and the forests for plains..

Definitely still a WIP.

Name:	branch_1_4.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	637.2 KB 
ID:	11287  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Your map is coming along well, but what sticks out to me is the outline of your land masses. This causes a very sudden break from the land to the sea. Now if that's what you're wanting then its fine, but i think I would maybe change the color to something more in the middle to help ease the transition.

Map On!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah, it is easier on the eyes, but it does it at the cost of losing the mountains. If I were you, I'd have a look at some of the mountain tutorials in the Tutorials/How-To forum. You should probably have the mountains appear from the heart of the forest where the tree line gives way to the peaks.
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

First, welcome to The Guild. Second, I'm with SG...lose the black outline...it just jars too much with what is looking nice. Try an inner glow of black, go about 10 pixels and this should give you a nice dark lowlands around the beachfront. The water looks real nice. Land looks good with the varying colors. As for mountains, hit the tuts section and see what kind of style grabs ya. At any rate, this looks nice...you're well on your way to a fine lookin map.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip

A big thank you to everyone for providing comments and ideas, your response has been very encouraging.

I'll go for the softer coastline a bit later on to see how I like that.. for now, I'm just posting an alternate look for those mountain areas.

Name:	branch_1_8.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	689.5 KB 
ID:	11292  

Wip

Here is without that black land outline that grabs the attention of so many posters

Hm.. now without the outline to give them body, a few of the smallest islands are just vanishing from sight. Not sure if I am happy with this particular alteration.

Name:	branch_1_8_2.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	664.7 KB 
ID:	11294  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast