Thread: Is anyone doing city *profile* maps?

Post Is anyone doing city *profile* maps?

What I mean - is there anyone currently doing side-on views of cities rather than top-down views?

The link shows a historical example that I particularly like.

http://historic-cities.huji.ac.il/ge...1550_730_b.jpg

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I had wanted to but didn't know how to go about making it into a map rather than an illustration. The closest I could get was ISO and not a very good one at that Very sweet pic tho.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I had wanted to but didn't know how to go about making it into a map rather than an illustration. The closest I could get was ISO and not a very good one at that Very sweet pic tho.

I was trying to get my head around this as well. If you look at old atlases, they don't usually show a top-down street plan as we are used to.

I think what makes this one a "map" is the key with labels. It's just a map using a different perspective. Maybe? Anyway?

Thinking about a use for it, perhaps people used images like this to locate major landmarks, being less concerned with the route than with the general location??

I'm just speculating here.

Replicating this with software (short of scanning) would be BEAST though. I can;t imagine the number of vectors one would need to emulate the woodcut strokes.

Somebody convince me that a project like this isn;t worth it

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Following your stretch I can see how this could useful in that when one is standing in a street looking around, you can make out locations like steeples and towers and such...so instead of a bird's eye view map we have a man's eye view map If you have a graphics tablet you can just draw it up...heck if you have a pencil you can just draw it up and scan it in. The woodcut can be faked quite easily, at least in some programs, to varying degrees of coolness. If you want to have a go at this, then make sure you write it all down and write a tutorial for the rest of us
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Following your stretch I can see how this could useful in that when one is standing in a street looking around, you can make out locations like steeples and towers and such...so instead of a bird's eye view map we have a man's eye view map If you have a graphics tablet you can just draw it up...heck if you have a pencil you can just draw it up and scan it in. The woodcut can be faked quite easily, at least in some programs, to varying degrees of coolness. If you want to have a go at this, then make sure you write it all down and write a tutorial for the rest of us
    I actually did something quite similar for the cover of a wedding program once.. . . it worked. But it was about 1/1000th of the detail

For my Persian project, I am producing a 3D map of a fictional city in Google Sketchup. It's a bloody big project and will take me aaaaaaages, but I think (hope!) it will be the dog's b****cks when it's finished!

Sketchup is a great free program and dead easy to use. I plan to put some districts/buildings in Photoshop to make them look really nice. I hope to post some WIP soon...