Thread: Filling a need for a missing map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Filling a need for a missing map

Note: map removed.

>>>I have always liked making maps. I started as a very young kid just mapping my neighborhood and the open fields and hills around Dublin California. My dad gave me an old outdated map of the city when I was about 11 or 12 and I loved it. Maps were a guide, with them you knew what was where and where to go. Anyway I have been role playing for a long time and hadn't thought about how I liked maps even before that until today.

I bought the D&D 4th edition starter set to teach my mother, if you can believe it, how to play 4th ed. I am reading through it and there it says crude map of Harken given to players. I looked around in the material but there was no map crude or otherwise of the little village of Harkenwold. I started and did a really crude pencil one and decided I might as well make a good one, at least for me to keep track of where things were.

I grabbed the existing map of Fallcrest, a community nearby from other 4th edition materials and tore it apart into brushes in GIMP 2.0. I started painting. 4 and a half hours later I looked up and remembered how much fun it was to make maps. I dropped the map off at the 4th ed. forums for other people to use and then went on a google hunt for other nutty people like myself. Luckily I found this place.

Anyway here is what I came up with.

Here is the map Key based loosely on the Starter set info.

Harken Map key
    1) Baron Stockmer's Keep
    2) Aunt Nonnie's Place
    3) Cliffside Brewery
    4) Harkenwold Trading Station
    5) Ruined House
    6) Temple of Faith
    7) Harkenwold Caverns
    8) Militia Guard House
    9) Granary
    10) Stables
    Last edited by wmtenery; 02-26-2010 at 01:40 PM.