Thread: Unlurking

Guild Novice

Post Unlurking

Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker come out from the shadows.

A little about myself;

- I've been interested in fantasy mapping for a long time, since childhood really, ever since (like probably 90% of people here) I saw Tolkien's maps.

- I'm a geologist by trade, with an interest in plate tectonics (I can't say specialty because coal just pays better), but the basic level education in tectonics that every geo receives is far more than I need to produce interesting/half realistic maps (or at least invent some convoluted and unnecessary justification for an unlikely landform).

- I'm an Aussie, from Tamworth, always on the look out for fellow local mappers and RP gamers.

- Some people may recognise my user name, that's probably because I'm also a long term lurker in the CC2/3 mailing list.

Anyway I'll eventually get around to posting a work in progress of a map I'm working on in Inkscape at the moment, don't expect quick progress on it though as work eats up so much time that it isn't funny.

Regards,

Aiden

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome to The Guild. Your background is always necessary in what we do and it's always nice to have someone to bounce ideas off of. Coal...hrm. I have some trade publications from my grampa from when he was a boss..they're from the 1950's but fun too look at in how the stuff works and how they go about finding coal.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Hi Aiden, It would be extremely excellent to be able to ask a few questions about geology and its effects on terrain and maps. We have a lot of chinwag about ( oh look at that chinwag is alright with my spelling checker...) where was I... about rivers and erosion and stuff like that. That, plus some glaciers and vegetation on different climates is all interesting to me as I write one of those terrain apps. My app models ice as flubber goo and it seems to work out quite well that way.

There's a few aussies on the map (link in sig), pop yourself on and prop up the antipodean contingent. Ahh I see your already there. I wonder if thats how I knew your handle then.... hmmm don't know.

Edit2... Ahh I also see your asking about my GeoTerSys app in another thread. To prevent hijacking that one, ill post some movie links here. Movies should be in XviD format so late versions of MediaPlayer or VLC or something to play.

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/geotersys/...ialValleys.avi
    www.viewing.ltd.uk/geotersys/movies/Mountain.avi
    http://www.skindustry.net/medem/file...ndolAnim3D.avi
    http://www.skindustry.net/medem/file...1/Volcano1.avi

I had more but cant seem to find them for now. Theres lots of demos of it in use on these board in one form or another including this months challenge and my tile in the CWBP.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 03-16-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild! If you get a chance, I started a thread quite some time ago about plate tectonics and was trying to use them for my own campaign world as justification for some of the landforms and what not. If you get a chance, I would love some critiques on what is there and feel free to add additional information. We are an incredibly friendly community and have no problems with receiving constructive criticism and comments so don't feel that you have to apologize all the time. We are here to learn and if the comments mean bettering our skills than they are worth it.

You can find the thread here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1322
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Novice

Thanks for the welcome all,

I'd love to look at people's maps for them, I apologise in advance if it takes me some time to get back to you, always busy and the work server won't let me through to the guild.

RPMiller; I love the way you show your plates on that map, I'll have to learn how to do that, annyway I'll post to that thread later on.

Regards,

Aiden

Super! I look forward to reading them. Have some rep for your willingness to help.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.