Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Animus Prime

An update with finished trees and country labels. I'm not sure if I like the red outline and may change it to a white outline. Next steps are labels for physical features, city symbols and labels, and mercator style borders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Animia Prime WIP.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	11504  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'm not so sure the red works either, maybe try a more nuetral color or change it to white with a black outline/glow?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm actually digging the red, but perhaps it needs to be a little less sharp? I think your map is coming along really nicely, and the only nit I have to pick is the uniform size of your mountains. I'd like to see a little variety -- a little *character* there. Keep up the good work!
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

I would use pure red for the text. Using dark green and bright red can give paper texture a nice old-timey look, because those were common printing inks, iirc.

Otherwise, awesome, awesome map. The land-masses look land-massey, the mountain and forest brushes are nice. Maybe tone down or stylise (dots or wavy lines or less blurring) the shadow at the coasts, though, for a more consistent printed look.

Update on my map. Work still in progress as I'm just trying to play around with different styles and effects. I'm trying to give a faded look on parchment in an old style map here. Everything is done with CC3.

Thanks,

Jason

Name:	Animia Prime Big Symbols Political.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	12001  

Damn, that's nice. I wholeheartedly approve.

There's some kind of very very slight distortion going on in a row of pixels in the middle of the map, if you look at the mountains westernmost (small) island with mountains, it is possible to see that some of the pixels are shifted left and right (and this goes through the whole map). Smackdap in the middle, I'd say. Man, what a fluke discovery. One in fifty seven point two.

An update. I`ve played around with adding more colour. I still have some more physical features names to add and I`m not sure that I like the mountain labels - have to work on that. More than anything I`m just enjoying playing around with what can be done with CC3.

Thanks,

Jason

Name:	Animia Prime Political Coloured.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	3.52 MB 
ID:	12391  

Looking good there. The saturation seems ok, too, not too bright or dark.

Blog Entries

Looks great.

If I have one criticism it's that I actually preferred the text on the previous image. I thought it looked almost like it had been inked straight onto a sheet of paper, with the slight blurred bleeding at the edges. I'm personally not a fan of text with glows or white strokes, I know it aids legibility but it just seems too digital, especially on a hand drawn map style.

Been away from posting for a while and have been working on a different style black and white map for this. Here it is without any labelling or settlements.

Name:	Animia Prime Physical BW.jpg 
Views:	651 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	16776  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast