Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Animus Prime

Wip Animus Prime

Since finding this site I've been really inspired to work on some maps - very much becoming an addiction. I'm just amazed at all the fantastic maps and the different styles people use. Here is one I've been working on for a few days that I want to finish using the style I did with Terrathion. I just like the old style simple maps with minimal colour. I need some advice with this - I'm not sure if adding trees adds or detracts to the map at this scale. This map is a continent and subcontinent generated through fractal terrains that I've then traced over in CC3 with a few slight tweaks. The scale is supposed to be 8000miles by 5000miles. I'm not sure if the trees will come out clearly in the image or not.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Animia Prime Physical.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	11348  

Impressive scope. I really like your spartan approach to decoration too...keeps it looking lean and epic.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like it, normally I'm not a big fan of the "floati-ness", but it works well on this.

Any plans for color? Not that it needs it, just curious.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Here is a larger map where you can hopefully see some of the details in the trees. I am going to be using colour with mercator style borders and cities and then add heraldry (I just love theses on maps) so there will be lots of colour but in muted tones. Just want to get the physical stuff done first.

Thanks for the feedback.

Name:	Animia Prime Physical.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	11394  

I like the general look of your map, but there are few things that might want to consider.

-The mountains do fit in quite well, but it somehow bothers a bit that they are drawn with much finer lines than the rest of the map. (try reducing the width of other lines and make them also a bit finer.. or make the mountains rough & thick also)

-The forests are represented by quite sparsely placed trees that follow quite the same density trough the whole map --> the actual forest area limits aren't that clear

What you might want to try is to place the trees closely enough to form a forest like in this post: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4718

Just some thoughts...

The mountain ranges are great.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Wip

Here is another version. I'm trying a different tree style and slightly enlarged the mountains. Still can't quite decide what I like best yet. Thanks for the feedback.

Name:	Animia Prime WIP.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	11466  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like the new trees...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looking good

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast