Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Argent Islands

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Map Argent Islands

I wanted something subdued and subtle to soothe my savage soul. It had to be pleasant too look at, try a few new things, blah blah blah. Some new twists from the WIP thread and time to move on to new lands. I put a big rock in there because there's too many pieces of parchment proliferating for our perusal. I enjoyed making it and I hope you all enjoy it as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Argent Islands - The Ascencion.jpg 
Views:	2467 
Size:	3.03 MB 
ID:	11351  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. I really like the little streaks in the water.

/repped

Beautiful island map Ascension. I'm also a huge fan of the streaking pattern in the ocean. Wonderful colour scheme choice too. My only crit would be that the writing on the ?stone tablet breaks the balance of the map's proporptions in that. Perhaps the main island should be a little more offset, up and right or the written portion made smaller. Just some suggestions for a great looking map.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Wunderbar! - the rock is a great idea as a text background. Though I agree with Torq that offsetting the islands a bit to move them away from the rock would improve a spectacular map.

Your skill in the Phorce continues to grow my friend. *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Map itself is absolutely beautiful. Great work! Rock is a good idea for background, but in this map I think a more subtle style would have worked better, maybe a plain ol' parchment. But the map... Just wow.

Very pretty! I have to say I like the sea, too, and the color palette you chose is wonderful!
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

That is an incredible map *rep bonk*. The color palette is perfect for it and the textures are just amazing, especially the sweeping strokes in the sea.
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Those strokes in the sea were just some clouds that I ran a filter on (Eye Candy - Swirl, I think), then deleted the blacks and grays to leave the lightest grays and whites then put an outer glow of aqua on it and turned down the opacity and set the blend to overlay (I think, might be soft light).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

I love this map. The well placed peripherals complement the layout nicely and your impeccable use of color makes the map very easy to understand as well as making it aesthetically pleasing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast