Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Photoshop Mapping with Chuck

Thanks, Blaidd!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

I'll definitely give this a try one of these days.

Question

Don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, but I think that since I'm following this tutorial, someone should know.

My map isn't coming up right when I try to brush in my mountains (I have made sure to follow everything exactly many times already). It looks odd, liquidized almost. Is this what it's supposed to look like (in the attachment) when I first use the brush... because it looks nothing like the PDF. Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain issue.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	12995  

Huh...not sure. Perhaps you need to use a smaller brush size? Anyone else have any ideas? That's really the only thing I can think of.

It's the not size. I've already tried and tried again just to be safe. I think it's something else, but I can't figure it out. Anyone?

I'm stuck on the stage where you bring the .png file back over into photoshop. What is it supposed to look like exactly because the .png file I ended up with looked like a black field with rivers all through it. Also what does 'original black and white' mean? The map that we started with at the very beginning of everything? The black and white after it was inverted? After the mountains were put in? The last map used in photoshop? I feel really dense here. Am I the only one having problems in this area? (probably.)

Edit: I got past that though I had to make something up since your step rather confused me. Now I'm stuck on this:

"The map doesn’t seem to pop out a whole lot yet, so Ctrl+select the land layer’s thumbnail and make a new layer. Now, with black selected as foreground color, stroke this sucker again, outside, at about 2 pixels. Don’t deselect yet. Make a new layer again and now go to Select > Modify > Expand and go about 10 pixels or so. Stroke that sucker again. Repeat as desired. Then set this layer on overlay. Now you have a fancy coastline (see step27)."

What does 'stroke' mean? Stroke with what and where? You say outside but... outside the selected area? I wouldn't think that was possible. This step would be over quickly if I just understood what stroke was... is it another filter. Let me go see.
    Last edited by Cherriey; 08-13-2009 at 12:52 PM.

I have the same issue as the post above me. When I use wilbur I get a black field with rivers running through it. Not only that the rivers are running where the ocean is suppose to be not in the mountainous areas. I may be extremely thick headed or not following the steps correctly, but not sure which at this point.

Blog Entries

I don't know about the png file, not having followed the tutorial, but "stroke" is a function in Photoshop right next to "fill" which puts a line around the selection (outside, inside, or center) of x pixels. There is also a stroke layer property in Photoshop, which effects everything on a layer.

What I am having issue with is bringing in the png from wilbur. My process looks nothing like it is suppose to. It is most likely that I am doing it completely wrong.

Wilbur wasn't doing reasonable things with PNGs that have an alpha channel. Version 1.71 (today's release) should be better about this. Try it and see if your problem is resolved.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast