Thread: Greetings

Post Greetings

Hey all,

I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks and have decided to make my presence known to all. I have been a long time Gamemaster of Dungeons and Dragons (since the old 2nd Edition days.) Recently, I have abandoned my beloved D&D for the GURPS gaming system (much better ... to my surprise.)

All told, I've been creating maps by hand for nearly seventeen years now, and I have only recently begun to create them on computer. NOTE: I did utilize ProFantasy's Campaign Mapper [see note 1 below] back in the day but I never really liked that style of mapping. I have always prefered hand-drawn maps (i.e. Tolkien-esque) to CAD-type renderings.

I recently found one of RobA's tutorials as I was searching for GIMP [note 2] tutorials and found my way here. All I can say is, WOW! I hope that I can learn to create maps just like many I've seen here.

My current set-up is GIMP plus Inkscape and my weapon of choice is my Watcom Bamboo pen tablet. I hope to have something to post for you guys in time.

[1] Campaign Mapper was a freeware version of the Campaign Cartographer that came bundled with the AD&D Core Rules software. Note sure if any of you remembered that one or not.

[2] I've used GIMP for some time now having switched from JASC's PaintShop Pro. Keeping up with the upgrades and having to purchase a new version every so often hurts my wallet. A second hobby of mine is comic books and I have been creating them on my computer for some time now.
    Lord Mykhal
    Divine Emperor of All Creation

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Looks like you got everything you need - looking forward to seeing some of your maps.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.