Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Mountain Technique using Wilbur and the Gimp

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Post first run

Well here it is. Like Ascension said, the rivers are a little "beveled" in the highlands. I will have to try waldronate's suggestion the next time.

I do have a question though: It seems to me that there are maybe a bit too many rivers for my taste. Is there a way to lower the instance of river generation in Wilbur, or is it a question of painting them out in either Wilbur or Gimp?

Also, for some reason, I seem to have a few places where either the water is showing through the land or the land is blurred on the water. What did I do wrong?

Repped if I can, and 5 rated for the help learning something with Wilbur.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ridge2.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	11550  
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Thanks W...will give that a whirl.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    Well here it is. Like Ascension said, the rivers are a little "beveled" in the highlands. I will have to try waldronate's suggestion the next time.

I do have a question though: It seems to me that there are maybe a bit too many rivers for my taste. Is there a way to lower the instance of river generation in Wilbur, or is it a question of painting them out in either Wilbur or Gimp?

Also, for some reason, I seem to have a few places where either the water is showing through the land or the land is blurred on the water. What did I do wrong?
    Flow Exponent is approximately equal to number of rivers (smaller exponent = more rivers)

Amount is clipped when it would go below 0, which is what gives the wide steep-walled valleys. To prevent this amount from actually going to 0, use effect with a value like 0.75, which uses 75% of the result.

The features in that user interface are a leetle peculiar. They are a direct control over parameters in the underlying model rather than more user-friendly values. I guess I'm just that sort of guy.

Question Would you mind completing this post?

Hi, Torq.

I'm currently compiling your tutorial into a PDF document and have a request / question for you.

Your fifth post on page one is incomplete as shown below.

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Step 4: The High Ground Layer and the Heightfield

< snip! >

The use the same bump mapping technique as in Step 3, applying the bump map to the new "High Ground" layer. This time the elevation is decdreased to
    Would you mind editing the post and completing it so I can include the necessary information for this step?

Thanks!

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Praise

Hey Vandi!!

Congrats on the new award!!!!

I am just guessing here but I do believe that you are the inaugural recipient

I am looking forward to that PDF too. I will be playing around with this one quite a bit in the future

Maybe you should start a sticky thread with links to the PDFs for all the tuts you are doing. Would be REAL useful I think

*hint* *hint* to any cls out there
    Last edited by Korash; 03-21-2009 at 11:41 PM. Reason: posting suggestion
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Blog Entries

Torq: Excellent tut - I shall rep and 5 star it in a mo.

Vandy: Cool badge ! Yes we should have a sticky list of transcribed tuts, preferably with a link to the tut thread too. I am guessing that you would need a post per tut or else you would run out of attachment space.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    Hi, Torq.

I'm currently compiling your tutorial into a PDF document and have a request / question for you.

Your fifth post on page one is incomplete as shown below.

Would you mind editing the post and completing it so I can include the necessary information for this step?

Thanks!

Regards,

Gary
    Thanks a million Vandy for putting together a pdf (hopefully edited). The text that you say is missing seems to be in the post when I look at it, but it should be:

"In this step we will create the next level, or higher ground and appy the bump map to it.

Firstly hide the ground layer you just created and select the heightfield as seen in the first screen shot below.

Then choose the "select by color tool" and check the "Feather Edges" box. Move the feather slider to about 30 and the threshold slider to about 90 as shown in the second screenshot. Then choose the lightest point on the heightfield and select by colour as shown in the third screenshot.

Then unhide the light green ground layer. Create a new layer above it and name it "High Ground". Then select the new layer it as shown in the fourth screenshot.

In the map window use the bucket fill tool to fill the selected area with a brown colour representing higher ground. I prefer to use lighter colours as lighter ones show off the bump map more effectively. The result should look something like the fifth screenshot."

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Torq: Excellent tut - I shall rep and 5 star it in a mo.

Vandy: Cool badge ! Yes we should have a sticky list of transcribed tuts, preferably with a link to the tut thread too. I am guessing that you would need a post per tut or else you would run out of attachment space.

Thanks for the kind words Red. It has been great getting Waldronate's wise input on Wilbur too, which has been a learning process for me.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Question Look at the line right above the pictures...

Hi, Torq.

No problem concerning creating the tutorial. I enjoy doing it.

The line I am writing about is in your fifth post on Page 1 DIRECTLY above the line of pictures. Here is the text of that line:

"The use the same bump mapping technique as in Step 3, applying the bump map to the new "High Ground" layer. This time the elevation is decdreased to"

As you can see, the line is not finished.

Thanks, in advance, and I look forward to getting the tutorial finished.

Regards,

Gary
    © May 29, 1980

Sorry Vandy. I misundertood. The sentence should be "The use the same bump mapping technique as in Step 3, applying the bump map to the new "High Ground" layer. This time the elevation is decreased to about 20 by moving the slider. Then hit OK to apply the bump map."

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Tutorial Tutorial: Mountain Techniques using Wilber and GIMP - PDF document

Hello, Korash and Redrobes.

Thank you for commenting on my badge. I must say I was quite surprised when I received it. I am honored to be the recipient.

TO ALL:

I have attached a PDF copy of Torq's excellent tutorial for your use.

Enjoy.

Regards,

Gary

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountain Techniques using Wilbur and GIMP.pdf 
Views:	2747 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	11617
    © May 29, 1980

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast