Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: [Award Winner] Mountain Technique using Wilbur and the Gimp

I'm going to try generating some terrain with this technique, but does anyone have a translation of the GIMP settings for Photoshop CS5? This would be VERY useful.

Excellent tutorial, thanks to all - especially the PDF guy who followed up on all the loose ends.

My first attempt wasn't too great, this is another stab at it. The bump-mapping in GIMP also
    does shading, so I set the Azimuth in Wilbur to 180 to get a flat-shaded map for the GIMP.

After that I tried a few things, somehow I couldn't get reasonable rivers, but early days.

The GIMP crashed (first time I've seen that) which gave me a chance to think things through
    a little better, anyhow this is what I came up with. All comments/suggestions very welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountain Techniques using Wilbur and GIMP - 2nd Try - final.png 
Views:	204 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	35001  

I am a bit late to the game here. My first map using Wilbur and Gimp. I created 2-3 layers for each of the major terrain features; water, ground, high ground, mountains. I should have taken notes on which filters and layer modes I used to get there, but alas I did not. Great tutorial!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map1 HF.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	918.7 KB 
ID:	37854

I have created the height map using wilbur and am stuck on Step 3. I make the new layer above the greyscale map as shown in the first screenshot and fill it with green. However, I can't get the background layer to combine with the green layer in order to show a green layer with the rivers. What am I doing wrong? I can see the green level "above" the height map, but when I try to do the bump map the result isn't in color. I have checked RGB.

Also, it seems like Wilbur makes the same height map every time I try to create one. Is there a quick way to change how the elevation is formed?
    Last edited by Akora; 08-25-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Change the seed value on the dialog that you're using to create the basic noise. You can control the scale of the features of the noise using the three size values (larger values give smaller features).

Guild Apprentice

Default My very first posted map...

...lessee if I can get this to work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	region-from-wilbur-heteroterrain.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	727.7 KB 
ID:	38422

So I did something a bit different, using a Hetero Terrain in Wilbur rather than a ridged multi-fractal. I like how it came out, though the lake has the appearance of having flooded its banks a bit. *heh* Actually, perhaps not a bad effect: the sunken islands to the northwest of the lake might be really good fishing!

I like this tutorial a lot. Thanks much!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345