Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Overland World Map

Guild Apprentice

Here is the latest update! I've attempted like a hundred different styles of text, fonts and various other things but so far, this one will have to do. There's been some changes to terrain and a lot of changes to the water.

Note: The water is /still/ not done =) Another note is that the thin black line around the continents will be fuzzed soon, but Im still using it for things and didnt think to blur it before I saved it for the night..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map6.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	11475  

Guild Apprentice

I realize that some of the titles are wrong too.. but they will be changed. After all, it is a work in progress.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Terrain looks great, rivers look great, colors are great, borders are great...the fonts are hard to read at smaller scale tho. I struggle with this myself all the time and what I usually do is opt for a simpler font. Awesome job tho.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

I would like to second the support of this mountain style, and would also be very, very interested in a tutorial, as my latest mapping buggaboo is mountains. Well done!

I think the map looks great Zaramis. I particulalry like the mountains and would love to see a tutorial.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Guild Apprentice

I suppose my next project will be a tutorial then! =) Thanks for all the support and praise, I will make sure to post one.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice - like Ascension I think some of the smaller fonts are difficult to read - easy enough to fix though
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

If it was only that easy..

I have looked through so many fonts to find something that combines a sense of fantasy with fair ease of reading. I can't find any that suits my purposes and still gives the world the right look.. And I have many thousand fonts, looked through nearly all of them =P

Very nice map. The font is still readable enough for me.
    The brown lines are borders? If so I am thinking near the desert they could be straighter? That terrain shouldn't be too interesting for nations.
    Just a thought.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I feel yer pain Z about fonts...I have over 15,000 but can only run 5,000 at any given time and I'll spend one whole night just browsing thru to find a list of 100 or so that I like and then legibility issues will cut that down to only a handful. Choosing the right one is time consuming if yer trying to capture the feel with a font.

Things that I have learned recently (ie. my last map) in dealing with fonts to help legibility....bigger point size, tint/shade (light text on dark background or vice-versa), color (not necessarily complimentary colors just colors that look nice togerther), outer glow (to put some dead space around the text), stroke (give a hard edge to the text), spacing between letters (letters too squished together are hard to read at small size), width of letters (narrow letters are hard to read at small size), height of letters (short letters are hard to read at small size), the simpler the font the easier it is to read (sometimes we have to sacrifice style for substance), fancy and scripty are harder to read than simple and bold, and don't over-fancy it up with styles, shadows, gradients, and 3d effects when doing labeling...save that for the title.

My favorite example of why a simple font can look excellent is Aurellia by Arcana:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2272

He uses the the map itself to create a feel; fonts are simple, clear, and light.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast