Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Overland World Map

Guild Apprentice

Map Overland World Map

This world is the geographical map of a mapping project Ive worked on for almost ten years in various iterations. I hope you all enjoy it - it is not the entire world, but it is the center of the economical and technological development which also holds a majority of the political turmoil in said world.

Hope you enjoy it. No names or locations yet, they are still in progress. I realized some of the ugly, small red cities are still on the map that I forgot to make invisible before I posted it, so please overlook them =)

Edit: Also, the water is far from done, its only a prototype right now. As are some of the locations, particularly in the eastern parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map3.jpg 
Views:	922 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	11414  
    Last edited by Zaramis; 03-17-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Very nice, very nice!

The only criticism I have is that the mountains do look somewhat "blocky"

Guild Apprentice

I intend to modify the mountains before I make a finished variant of it, putting on a filter to "merge" them into the terrain so your criticism is very noted, and very in line with my own thoughts =)

Really great looking map. I love the texture and colour range.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good -will be watching to see where you take this next.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

What I personally would like to see is a bit more sharper ground textures to match the sharpness of the mountains. And on the positive side, I really like how you have distributed the different areas on this map, especially the mountains and vegetation areas. It has good potential and with some tweaking you'll probably get very good results.

Belgium - Lands of chocolate and the Marsupilami

Very beautifull... I like the texture and the general look of the overall...

Made with Gimp, I suppose

Guild Journeyer

that's really nice - the coastline is somewhat distracting to me because of the high contrast, I enjoy looking at the land and what's you done there, but my eye keeps flicking back to the bright blue.

cool though. cheers!

Guild Apprentice

The coastline is not what I want as a finished result, it was very preliminary, so you can expect to see some changes there. I will look at something to make the ground textures match the mountains a bit better.

I used Photoshop to make it, actually - haven't had any experience with GIMP.

I think your mountains are a really good mix between realistic and symbolic and to be honest, I don't recall seeing any of that style before, so I like them because it's "new" as opposed to using what someone else has done. Not the most beautiful mountains, but far better an attempt than many I have seen also, including most of my first few. I think this is a style you should keep and make it your own, blocky or not.

As others have said, your shoreline is a bit out there. To me, it is jarring in style contrast with the other elements. It looks a lot more painterly/watercolor style while you have more realistic mountains and forests. Personally, I would probably go with more blending to get a much softer gradient.

EDIT: oh... have +6 rep... I would not mind a small tut on how you did those mountains either, though using GIMP, I might not be able to replicate.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast