Thread: Kaidan - all rights reserved

Post Kaidan - all rights reserved

Empire of Kaidan map, for my Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story campaign setting.

Note: all rights reserved, this is not a Creative Commons licensed map and you cannot download it or distribute it.

The entire 3 module mini campaign arc will occur on the large island to the west central of the map. Notice in the bay there's an island called Gaijinoshima - this is the location for the start of the adventure. The castle on the opposite side of the west island is the destination, the rest of the adventure occurs in the mountain areas between.

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kaidan-new.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	11423  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-18-2009 at 03:36 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Map Last change

I wasn't happy with it, so I made one additional set of changes. I pulled the Ukiyo-e castles and temples. I replaced them with "dots" for cities. Green dots are castletowns, white dots are cities, and the red dot is the capital. I also placed roads in dashed brown lines.

The Ukiyo-e symbols took too much room. I wanted to make the map more usable describing more cities and how to get there.

Rather than add a new version, I replaced the previous one. This is the final version. When I make provinces I might go all ukiyo-e... we'll see!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's a nice map, but "cannot download" - crap, by viewing it, I just did...

If you don't want people to download something, don't post it.

Post Why not?

Why not, Bartmoss?

Although most of the maps posted in the Guild are licensed creative commons, not all of them are, I can think of at least 20 maps here that, although created by guild members are either "All Rights Reserved" or otherwise belong to a publisher as a commissioned map - one even belongs to WotC.

You do the guild and members a disservice by insisting only downloadable and useable maps can be posted. Its a simple matter of posting what the available licensing is for a given map, and though you can look at it, they're not for personal use that's all. This isn't a FREE MAPS ONLY site and shouldn't be.

Loading into your browser is not the same as downloading it. Crossing the line is "right clicking" and selecting "Save As", then you're doing wrong, but looking at it is not a problem, that's why its posted here.

So an upgrade on the map, I thought I reposted the new one, only it didn't show up, so here it is again. I removed the Ukiyo-e map symbols and replaced with dots (for cities). I stuck in a legend to show what they represent. When I make the provincial maps I'll use more of the Ukiyo-e symbols. (They kind of take up too much space for a detailed regional map, like this one.)

GP

PS: I plan to post several more "commercial use only" provincial maps and maybe a city or two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kaidan-new.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	11432  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-18-2009 at 12:00 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Loading into your browser is not the same as downloading it. Crossing the line is "right clicking" and selecting "Save As", then you're doing wrong, but looking at it is not a problem, that's why its posted here.
    Actually, by viewing an image it will probably be downloaded to your browser's cache on your hard disk. I think there have been some court cases in the Netherlands where clicking on stuff was actually seen as downloading. There's a thin line...

Anyway, I respect your wishes of course and it's a nice map. The mountains look better now.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I have a question about this. Actually a request for clarification.

What I have done in the past if I wanted to use a map posted here (CC or Rights Reserved) but not modify it, is to have it on screen and show it to the players when the time comes. Before the game, or if I remembered too late - during, I come to the guild and bring up the maps that I wanted and display them in the browser. Is that do-able?

If there is a map that I like and want to use after modification, I would download it and then work on it. My impression is that I am not allowed to have a copy of reserved work on my computer, but if it is modified by me to a degree that makes it significantly different from the original, that would be ok. Am I correct or should I be looking over my shoulder for the lawyers? I want to know 'cause I REALLY do not want to steal anyone's thunder (nor money out of pocket) and would prefer to do the right thing.

I know there is a thread somewhere on just this subject but I can't find it atm.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    I have a question about this. Actually a request for clarification.

What I have done in the past if I wanted to use a map posted here (CC or Rights Reserved) but not modify it, is to have it on screen and show it to the players when the time comes. Before the game, or if I remembered too late - during, I come to the guild and bring up the maps that I wanted and display them in the browser. Is that do-able?

If there is a map that I like and want to use after modification, I would download it and then work on it. My impression is that I am not allowed to have a copy of reserved work on my computer, but if it is modified by me to a degree that makes it significantly different from the original, that would be ok. Am I correct or should I be looking over my shoulder for the lawyers? I want to know 'cause I REALLY do not want to steal anyone's thunder (nor money out of pocket) and would prefer to do the right thing.

I know there is a thread somewhere on just this subject but I can't find it atm.
    I am certainly not a lawyer, but I think showing the map should be ok, as long as the creator didn't say anything about forbidding it.

Modifying a map... now that's going to be tricky without prior consent I think.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Post There are some issues.

@Gandwarf, though you are right when you view it, it does cache in your PC. I just don't want the map to be distributed in any way, as this is for publication and sales. If I didn't want you to view the enlarged size, I would have made it lower resolution or small dimension.

@Korash - no you aren't allowed to change it. In the cases of maps that you're not supposed to download, there are no exceptions. You can't do it at all.

Really, if someone wanted to use this in their personal game, I don't really care, I just don't want this posted elsewhere online. This will be featured in the publication and offered in large format from my store, as well as a downloadable, paid-for PDF sliced up to be printed your home inkjet printer.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Blog Entries

I think its perfectly acceptable to state restrictive terms of use on a map and some maps or images are more restrictive than others. We should all abide by CC or all rights reserved as stated but equally we should make those terms quite clear as in this case.

Its a nice map btw.

### No Thumb ###

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Thanks for the clarifications folks. I will modify my habits accordingly.

@ GP - I wasn't asking in order to try to get around stuff, just for a clarification of past practice. I do not have any intention of infringing on someone's rights and stuff, and what you said earlier just brought those questions to mind. Obviously my understanding was faulty in that regard.

Sorry if that caused any concerns
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent