Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tabletia

I love your rivers! The shading on the mountains and woods are excellent as well! The only thing that really bothers me is what looks like a sandy outer glow on the coastlines, I would change that to maybe a light blue, or very light sea green, but that's just me. Have some REP!

Well imaginary rep anyway! I need to spread it around!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Bit of messin around while I watchin hoops. Strengthened my hills along the rivers a bit, put in some forests, then I got all weird and made a travel brochure out of it.
    How did you do the rivers and the rivers? I really like the rivers which CUT into the land and the hills that are that have a strong presence. Did you use Photoshop and a tablet and that is all? How long did this drawing take, I am very curious... I like your style and want to get to a point where you are.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Thanks, Towser. The beach will get drawn in later, for now it's just an outer glow as a placeholder...trying to do this one all the way with my tablet and no layer styles or filters when done.

Carto...just PS and a tablet. The sea has a texture overlay (and the land has an outer glow) around the coast right now until I figure out what I want to do with that part but otherwise just drawing. The rivers were just making wiggly lines as in the first post. I then went back over them with a wider tip in a brown and then a little bit smaller tip with blue and light blue. Then I took a brown 1-pixel brush and drew hill lines at every curve of a river then a 3-pixel brush for some shadowing. Here's a screenshot at 300% zoom to give you a better idea. The tablet allows for pressure sensitivity like in real drawing/painting. If you don't have one you can get something similar with the blur and smudge tools. As for time...these darn hills around the rivers have taken the most time, about 5 hours, the rest has taken about 5 hours combined.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	11551  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

My only critique is the geometricocity* of the shorelines, especially evident in the islands. The lines of those shores are just strangely straight-looking.

Is that an artifact of the tablet?

Also, what Chaos said (below)... the rest of the map is great looking.

*trademark pending
    Last edited by Karro; 03-23-2009 at 01:02 PM.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

I agree with Karro. Most of the small islands look like rectangles. But that's only the coastline. The rest of the map it is wonderful!
    All of my work is protected by Creative Commons Licences except when noticed otherwise somewhere in the thread. Click here to see what that means.

Yeah that happened because I had to do a lot of work trying to put the black lines onto their own layer (too many grays keep sneaking in). Since this one started as just messin around to learn my tablet I didn't think about layers...my brain's been dead since I finished the islands. I'm probably gonna stop on this one and do up a cleaner and bigger second version so that I can draw in more detail (palm trees, firs, buildings, maybe animals, etc). Altho, since my brain is dead, I probably won't be doing much of anything for another week or so.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Wanted to put some finishing touches on this one before calling it done. I'm going for something playful and not too serious.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tabletia.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	12003  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I'm going for something playful and not too serious.
    I think you have that nailed pretty well.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Well, more rep coming your way Ascension.
    I really like this style and you could make some classy fantasy maps with it I think. I very much like the trees and mountains and the different colors you used for the land.
    The only criticism I have is that I think the islands look a bit too "blocky".
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast