Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regional Map Practice

Wip Regional Map Practice

Hi All. A few people asked me to do a tut on the mountain technique I used in my March challenge entry. I intend to get a tut up very soon but decided to do a practice run first to make sure I know how I got there. As expected I cant seem to get the same look whenever I try to. It always turns out a little different. Anyway, this was the result. I would love feedback, especially on the effect of having the light land colours as shallow water, swamp or channels, outside the land border.

Torq
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tutprac.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	790.5 KB 
ID:	11395  
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Wow this looks incredible! I want the tutorial on this!

The only question that I have, is what are the bumpy areas on the highlands? Is it supposed to be trees or hills. If it is hills, it doesn't quite work with the rest of the map, and if it is woodlands, then you have to color them differently than the background.

Also, I like the shallow water/swamplands.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice Torq!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Damn! Nice freakin mountains.

I like the color tones on this map.. what I would like to know () is what the small dotty bumps are representing (especially on the mountain areas) ?

Damn, those are some fine mountains. Another top map, Torq!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Very cool Torq. They remind me a bit of the mountains Pasis is using in his maps, though they are indeed different. Like Jykke I would like to know what the small dots are.

If I stare long enough the mountains start to look like crumpled paper by the way. It doesn't bother me, so it's not a bad thing.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by landorl View Post

The only question that I have, is what are the bumpy areas on the highlands? Is it supposed to be trees or hills. If it is hills, it doesn't quite work with the rest of the map, and if it is woodlands, then you have to color them differently than the background.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jykke View Post
    I like the color tones on this map.. what I would like to know () is what the small dotty bumps are representing (especially on the mountain areas) ?
    The reason I would love to give you is that that is rough ground reflecting ragged lands. However the reason I should give is found in the underlying bump map that I use. I use Wilbur to generate a ridge perlin heightfield. In order to get the rivers looking right with lots of bends, rather than straight I add noise, following one of Waldonate's tutorials. I only select the basins to add the noise because applying the noise to the mountains gives them a grainy look that doesn't work too well. Its the noise added to the greyscale heightfield that causes the bumps. I like the look on the mountains themselves but dont really like it in the lowlands.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

This is looking spectacular all around! The 'small dotty bumps' might be a challenge, but WOW. I'm looking forward to the tutorial!
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast