Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying a New Style WIP

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by heruca
    I guess my biggest issue with the fonts was the fact that they look far too modern, and the contrast of the old-looking map with the too-modern font really clashed for me (particularly on the legend). I, too, like clean fonts, and don't necessarily believe you need to use handwritten-style or calligraphy fonts to achieve a less-modern look.
    The map looks old to you eh? I wasn't going for that feel. My intent was to take a nice, useful fully overhead view, (The type that made the old Forgotten Realms maps so useful) but make them a tad more realistic and/or modern. Hence my surprise when you said 'old-looking'. I'll be experimenting with the fonts. Another way to make 'em blend in more is to adjust their transparency to not make them so starc against the rest of the map.

I think Pyrandon nailed the real issue. It's the old-style elements on the map legend that are clashing with the modern fonts. The map itself is actually not old-looking at all.

I still think the large font you used in the ocean could be better. Even if it was just Arial.
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I must say its beautiful work! Very nice indeed. I especially love the mountains. As for the fonts and old-new issues...I think the fonts will of course clean up in the image exports...I don't care for the pdf format much.

I like to use Colwell...that font has taken a special place in my heart.

I'm not going to reiterate everyone elses sentiments though...I like the map a lot but I agree that its being held back by some minor inconsistencies.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Awesome map Gruudock
    Also visit Dundjinni, Four Ugly Monsters, the Nook, Battlegrounds Games, Fantasy Grounds, RPTools, RPGMapShare, Eruvian, Dragon Roots, RPG Virtual Tabletop, Troll Lord Games, GameMaster Syndicate and meny, many others

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12