Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WIP World of Calen Ndor

Looks great as of yet, though obviously you'll need to remake that coastline to be less pixely. I don't remember if I've repped you or not for this post already. But who cares, have some anyway!

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Korba View Post
    I have a had a little bit of time to start on one of the maps in more detail. I'm choosing the centre southern continent. It is about 550 miles East to West and 400 miles North to South making it similar in size to France.
    So, based on this, does this mean your planet is considerably smaller than Earth?

I ask because, given the size of your continent (which appears to stretch from the 30th to 60th parallels), if this planet were the same size as Earth, then this continent would appear to be much larger than France (which is about 211 sq. miles vs. 220 sq. miles roughly for this continent by your figures).

By my admittedly rough calculation, if your continent is about 550 miles across, then the circumference of your planet at the 60th parallel is somewhere between 3,000 and 4,000 miles (based on my very rough finger-ruler measure of the number of times you can count the width of this continent across the 60th parallel). Mathematically, the circumference at the 60th parallel is 1/2 of the circumference of the planet at the equator, which gives you a planetary circumference of between 6,000 and 8,000 miles. The Earth, on the other hand, has a circumference of almost 25,000 miles.
    Last edited by Karro; 03-31-2009 at 02:49 PM.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Thanks Chuck.

Thanks for pointing the scale problem out Karro, i was out by a factor of 10 The continent should be 5300 miles east to west and 3500 north to south so its more like the size of the US and Canada (very roughly).

Its the first time i have worked at such a large scale so I'm going to have to do some rethinking because as much as i like my drainage pattern I'm currently working at 3.5 miles per pixel.

The sizes (in miles) each continent are below, the image is 2500 by 1250 pixels. The circumference of the earth is roughly 25'000 miles so hopefully my measurements are right this time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calen Ndor17.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	688.2 KB 
ID:	11915

Back to the drawing board

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Korba View Post
    Thanks Chuck.

Thanks for pointing the scale problem out Karro, i was out by a factor of 10 The continent should be 5300 miles east to west and 3500 north to south so its more like the size of the US and Canada (very roughly).

Its the first time i have worked at such a large scale so I'm going to have to do some rethinking because as much as i like my drainage pattern I'm currently working at 3.5 miles per pixel.

The sizes (in miles) each continent are below, the image is 2500 by 1250 pixels. The circumference of the earth is roughly 25'000 miles so hopefully my measurements are right this time.
    You're welcome. It just felt wrong, scale-wise, so I had to dig into the figures, out of sheer curiosity, and then felt compelled to share my discovery.

And I had the 25,000 mile figure sitting in front of me when I wrote my response, and yet still wrote 220,000 when citing the earth's circumference. Of course, that's what I meant (I had just looked it up, and found the figure 24,901.55 miles or 40,075.16 km for the circumference).
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Well the help earns my rep so thanks

Seeing as i'm stuck with scale problems i'm going to carry on in the style i did in my post Test map of Otajom. The hand drawn style i have been using for longest means i can ignore scale for the time being and leave the realism behind.

I have added the relief that influenced my drainage pattern. The mountains run in parallel (ish) lines reflecting the buckling that is usually seen in mountain building regions. I have tried to scale the mountains slightly to reflect the active mountain building at the plate margin, the syncline (buckle) mountains to the north and south and then the smaller mountain range running north west that is a relic mountain range when the island to the north east and this one were joined.

Name:	Calen Ndor copy.png 
Views:	167 
Size:	433.8 KB 
ID:	11924

If anyone has any tips how i can represent grassland (think Mongolia), Mediterranean climate, Boreal forest and tundra in a handrawn style i would really appreciate it.

Korba

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You might look at some examples of the CC3 symbols for those types of terrain to get some inspiration.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looks very nice.

Hrm. For grasslands, maybe small tufts of grass every now and then, with long, low hills (Mongolia isn't all flat). Fir shaped trees for northern climates, which can be dithered with lollipop style trees where they overlap.

Thanks for the suggestions and links

I have made a very rough pattern for the two forest types, added some dunes, some grassland and some swamp. Nothing is final yet but i'm just trying things out and building it up so it looks a bit of a mess at the moment i'm afraid.

Name:	Calen Ndor copy.png 
Views:	173 
Size:	731.9 KB 
ID:	11993

Are you going to adjust the borders of those trees? The pattern clipping there bugs me. Some dodge brushing to burn off the gray bits, and then just paint pure white to adjust the outlines... yeeeees. And then we could draw a small compass here, maybe a small navy to fill up the sea here, an army here. Conscripts from every city flowing into our irregulars, an army so huge it lends legitimacy to itself through might-is-right, under our command! Yes! Then, as I stand before them, and lift my hand, a hundred thousand boots will stomp down in unison, and the armies of Conquest will roll out and cover the world under its feet!

oh and one of your rivers is tapered assbackwards

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast