Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WIP World of Calen Ndor

Quote Originally Posted by Naeddyr View Post
    Are you going to adjust the borders of those trees? The pattern clipping there bugs me.
    Yes definitely, but at this stage making a quick pattern lets me see how things are coming along. I'm going to be redrawing the mountains so I'm not finalising things yet, hence the warning its a bit of a mess at the moment

oh and one of your rivers is tapered assbackwards
    Really? Can you point out where please because i can't spot it.

Korba

The small twice-brancher in the southwest corner, and a couple of river branches in the two rivers to the west from that one.

The small twice-brancher in the southwest corner, and a couple of river branches in the two rivers to the west from that one.
    Thanks for that

I have redone the rivers so they taper properly and have redrawn the mountains. I'm part way through shading them. The North West line are how the rest should look when I'm finished. Hopefully there is enough variety in the shape and shadows this time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calen Ndor copy.png 
Views:	147 
Size:	461.8 KB 
ID:	12068

Wow, this stuff is brilliant. You’ve given me lots to think about in my own attempt. Hope you carry on adding to this thread!

I’m noticing one thing about coastline; I think that technique for generating random coastline would work better for smaller geographic areas. The larger the continent, the lesser the variations are to my eye, producing very blocky continents. Maybe a similar technique using different tools could be applied first, to get large outlines of continental areas, then the coastal areas could be refined by the current method.

In terms of routing rivers, did you use any specific functions or did you just sketch them freely based on educated guesses?

Tutorial

Thank you Girltron.

This is my first world map and scale has been an issue for me. Only having done regional type maps before this is a learning process for me as i go. Looking back i would have changed my coastal outlines but there is no way I'm doing that tectonics again for a while so they stay

Latest progress, rivers tweaked and the mountains are finished (crosses fingers).

Views:	180 
Size:	504.1 KB 
ID:	12089

Next to come is the forests, i think i have some ideas how I'm going to do them to represent boreal -> deciduous -> semi arid -> scrub

I applaud your work so far. The only thing that irks me is that the rivers are darker than the coastline, which should probably be retraced anyway to get some details on the little islands. Anyways, I've been following this thread since the beginning, and I'm really looking forward to future developments.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by overlordchuck View Post
    I applaud your work so far. The only thing that irks me is that the rivers are darker than the coastline, which should probably be retraced anyway to get some details on the little islands. Anyways, I've been following this thread since the beginning, and I'm really looking forward to future developments.
    I have to agree about the lightness of the coastline and add that overall the map is a little light to me. It shouldn't be too difficult to darken up your lines a tad, unless there's a reason why you have them so light.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Default Gone but not forgotten!

Shockingly it's been over two years since my last update. Life has been very hectic but this project was never totally forgotten. Unfortunately I have lost all my original files but I'm not going through all that climate work again

So, comments about the dark coastline taken into account, I have pretty much traced the coast and river outlines and will be starting again with the other stuff which I was never totally happy with anyway.

Hopefully the next update will be a bit quicker!

Views:	88 
Size:	1,018.1 KB 
ID:	39790

Another restart. I think I must have been working at a much larger scale and then reducing for posts here. So back into Photoshop.

I have made a start on the rivers, a tiny section of forest and marked the main terrain types. I'm going to leave shading and colouring until much later I think.

Once again one of Ascension's maps is providing the inspiration, this time the early stages of Regional Practise.

Name:	temp.png 
Views:	142 
Size:	748.9 KB 
ID:	39848

Korba

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast