Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Island of Clairone

Wip The Island of Clairone

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking for a while and admiring all of the amazing work folks here are creating. This place is truly inspiring!

I've finally built up the nerve to post my own map. This is the Island of Clairone, a fictional island nation on Earth, located approximately 140 miles southwest of Ireland. The island is a little under 16,000 sq. miles with a population of 7.5 million.

The map is not 100% finished; some things are not properly labeled or may be missing names. There is no legend on the map as of yet, but I am working on it. My mapping style is a little different than most on here, I think, but I hope you folks can see what I'm shooting for.

The various colored areas are city/settlement boundaries. The Yellow lines are four-lane speedways. The orange lines are other major roadways. I am planning on adding rail lines, airports, ports, etc.

If the thumbnail image doesn't work, you can find the image here. The whole website is a work in progress and I have just started uploading information and ideas.

What do you all think?

Take care.

~ Scott (Shaelic)
    Last edited by Shaelic; 08-17-2014 at 09:52 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

First off... Welcome Aboard!

Secondly...have some rep for putting up a map in your first post. *bonk*

Thirdly, it's a really neat map, nice job.

I think all it needs is a key/legend, maybe a decorative border or a change in background color.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Steel General, is your sword of repping broken? Shaelic still has 0 rep.

Anyway, I think it's a nice map. Something I would expect in an atlas, although this style uses more colors than most maps in atlasses I have seen. That's a gazillion names by the way! Did you think them up yourself or used a name generator or something?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I'm guessing the subject is an alternate-universe Canada?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Steel General, is your sword of repping broken? Shaelic still has 0 rep.
    Nope the cudgel is still in good condition, it's my brain that isn't working. Forgot to actually click on the 'rep' icon to add it. Fixed now.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

To answer Gandwarf's question - I created the names as I went along. Still not finished with them, but I have an excel spreadsheet with about 25 sheets with all the Clairone information in it, including city/town populations, metro/urban areas, etc.

As mentioned, I do need to put a legend on the map, and I am working on one on and off. The white background was just a placeholder. I have a water background, as well. Wasn't real sure what to use as a background.

Clairone speaks English and has an on-again/off-again relationship with Great Britain, who dominated the island at one point. Clairone broke away early than Ireland did, and is also not a member of the Commonwealth. It's a lot of fun to imagine the world if my little island nation actually existed.

I also have worked up a language, called Clesh (also what the people are known as). It derived from Latin, as the first people on the island were survivors from a Roman flotilla of 10 galleons headed back from Britain who were blown off course and wreck. About 35 survived out of 140. The language is about dead, however, as only about 80,000 people can speak it, and about twice that number can read it and understand it. There are efforts to revive it.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and the rep! I'll post any updates as I go along.
    Last edited by Shaelic; 03-23-2009 at 10:23 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Praise

Holy freeholies Batman, That is detailed!!!

Lots of work went into this one too.

Nicely done. Bonked again
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Wip Update Clairone Map

Hey everyone,

Below is an updated version of the Clairone map. I added some water instead of the blank white border, played around with the topography colors, and changed the colors of the rivers. Still very much a WIP (believe it or not).

What do you think of this version?

The online version (3000x2336px) of this map can be found by clicking here.

Take care.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	basenew.png 
Views:	299 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	13958  
    Scott
    American by birth. Shaelic by choice
    Current projects: The Kingdom of Shaelia & The Republic of Clairone

I wrote a novel . . . and published it! Click here & check it out

Do you ever get down on your knees and thank God that you know me and have access to my dementia?
    ~ George Costanza

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast